Stupid Class

I looked at Professor Snape, confused, and kind of annoyed. Can't a girl eat breakfast in peace? I contemplated sticking my tongue out at him, but I decided against it as it would only make him angry. So, I tried to ignore it, but the feeling of his eyes boring into the back of my head was a little frustrating.

I finished my breakfast, and silently watched the rest of the kids in the great hall. (I love watching other people. It's one of my guilty pleasures.) I saw the boy Cedric called Harry talking with Hermione and Ron about something. I watched him for a while, but I made sure to look away every now and then, just to make it less awkward. Cedric nudged my arm slightly and in a teasing voice said: "Does someone have a crush?"

I glared at him. "No. I don't have a crush. He's just interesting. I like watching people. Don't judge."

Cedric chuckled a little. "I'm not judging you, kid. It's okay to have a crush on someone."

"I don't have a crush. He's just interesting. I feel like there is something... special about him."

"Special?" Cedric smirked. He was enjoying teasing me.

"He's not like everyone else. He's... different somehow."

    Cedric laughs. "That sounds like you have a crush on him."

    "Say that one more time, and I'll kick you." I retorted.

    Cedric put up his hands. "Okay, okay. Chill, kiddo."

    I looked at him, and laughed. "Why does everyone think that if you stare at a guy, you must have a crush on them?"

    Cedric shrugged. "I'm not sure... maybe it's because people naturally stare at things that they like?"

    I laughed. "Yeah, but I could also be staring at someone because I'm thinking of the many ways that I could kill him quickly, and quietly."

    Cedric finished his food, and looked at me. "Why did you suddenly start talking about gruesome things?"

    I looked up at him. "It's more interesting than romance, and crushes."

    Cedric chuckled. "You have a unique way of thinking, kid. Disturbing, but unique."

    I smiled. I began watching the other people again. I made the mistake of looking in the direction of Professor Snape. He wasn't in his chair anymore. I looked around, and saw him leave. It was probably nothing, but it made me feel uneasy. The students began to get up, so I followed suit. All the first years walked down to the dungeons. We went down a long corridor, stopping at a door. It opened, and we went in. Once the rest of us were inside the door slammed shut with a metallic clang. The room beyond the door had a strange smell to it. This was because of the many ingredients and vials that were on the shelves. I took a seat, and pulled out my notebook, and quill. I had just barely started thinking about boredom, when the door flew open again. A tall, dark figure stormed in at a deliberate pace. I looked up, and almost immediately regretted it. There stood Professor Snape only a few feet away from my desk.

   I gulped. The man who for all I knew was the reason for my great aunt's death was standing very close to me. I didn't really like it, but I stayed calm. Outwardly. Inwardly I was panicking, and somehow he seemed to know that I was panicking. He stared straight into my eyes, and with a hint of a whisper of a smile, he turned away, and began the lesson.