Suspicious Encounters

After lunch, I went through the rest of my day, grumpily awaiting detention. When it finally arrived, I trudged into the classroom.

"You're okay with listening to music while we work, right?" Lupin asked.

I nodded, and he started playing upbeat jazz music. (or maybe it was swing, I'm not good at recognizing music genera's). With the goofy music, it was hard to stay angry about getting stuck in detention. Lupin stepped out of the room to talk to Dumbledore for a little bit.

I had a large armload of textbooks in my arms. I looked around for their proper place. I saw a cabinet, and figured that's where textbooks went, so I opened the cabinet door, and something jumped out at me. I wasn't sure what it was at first... it was a dark figure. I didn't see its face but I heard its chalkboard voice. "I knew there was something he was hiding from me... he thought he could protect you from me?"

The dark figure reached out for me, and just as I thought all hope was lost-Professor lupin ran in, and grabbed me, and pushed me behind him.

The shadowy figure turned into a peaceful sky, with a full moon. Professor Lupin raised his wand at the thing. "Riddikulus!" He shouted, and he shoved the thing back into the cabinet.

He turned to me. "What were you thinking? You're not ready to handle a boggart! You could have been seriously injured!" He put a padlock on the cabinet.

I sighed. Lupin was starting to get on my nerves. "I'm sorry professor, I didn't realize that it was a dangerous cabinet. I was just trying to put these textbooks away. Maybe try labelling the dangerous cabinets next time."

Lupin looked at me. "You're just like your father when he was your age... always getting into mischief."

"You knew Snape when he was at Hogwarts?" I asked.

Lupin nodded. "Yes. But I meant your biological father. Not Severus. He's just your guardian."

My blood boiled when he said that. "How could you have known my biological father?!? He was an American! He lived in Portland! And Snape is my father! He might not be related to me, but he's my father!"

Lupin looked shocked at my outburst, but before he could say anything, Snape rushed in. Lupin and him walked to Lupin's office, and closed the door. I'd never admit it to Snape, or Lupin, but I heard their entire conversation.

"I should have known you would talk to her about Black!" Snape yelled. "I should never have left her alone with you!"

"I never mentioned any names, Severus. I just said that she resembled him-" Snape cut him off.

"She is NOTHING like him. He was a coward, and a bully."

"So, you haven't told her?" Lupin asked, annoyingly calm. "You haven't told her who her father is?"

"No, I haven't. I'm protecting her!" Snape replied.

"She has a right to know, Severus. He is her father after all..." Lupin spoke in a way that would soothe most people, but not Snape.

"Are you seriously trying to tell me how to raise my ward? This is none of your concern, Lupin. She's my responsibility. It will do you well to remember that." He stormed out of Lupin's office just as the clock struck six thirty.