A Sirius Situation

"I still don't get it. This is stupid." I threw my quill down, pissed.

Snape sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, trying hard not to get annoyed with my behavior. "Calm down, and let's try this again."

"Why do I have to study this? My class doesn't start learning about werewolves, or animagisus for at least three more weeks." I complained.

Snape stared at me for a few seconds. "Seriously? Haven't I taught you anything?"

I looked down. "I know, I know. I shouldn't be complaining. I-"

Snape shook his head. "No, not that. The correct term is animagi. Not animagisus."

I nodded. "Right... sorry. But why do I have to learn about them now?"

He sighed. "Because they can be very dangerous... and I want to protect you."

I looked at him. "You know something that you're not telling me... don't you?"

Snape sighed. "You're not ready to hear the truth."

"So you've been lying to me?" I asked.

He gave me a chilling glance. "I do what I have to do to keep you safe, Katria. It's my responsibility as your guardian."

"FUCK BLOODY RESPONSIBILITIES! YOU'VE BEEN HIDING SOMETHING FROM ME!" I snapped.

Snape's eyes went dark. "None of that language, young lady. And I don't have to explain my reasons to you. Okay? I'm the adult, you're the child. I take care of you, and protect you. And if there are some things that I have to keep from you, then I'll do it. Understood?!"

I flinched. "Yes sir..."

Snape's eyes softened. "I apologize for snapping at you."

"It's okay. I'm used to it."

He hugged me, which surprised me because he wasn't a hugger, even when he was happy with me. "Thats where your wrong. It's not okay. You shouldn't be used to people yelling at you." He pulled away from the hug, and put his hands on my shoulders looking into my eyes. "Are you okay?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

He smiled, and patted my shoulder. "Good."

I chuckled dryly. "Look at us, acting all mawkish and sensitive." I pulled away from his embrace, a little reluctant to do so. "Should we get back to studying?"

He nodded, but paused. "Perhaps... perhaps I've been unfair to you, keeping the truth from you. But you have to understand, I had your best interests at heart."

I raised an eyebrow. "And the truth is?

He sighed heavily. "I'm sure you overheard me and the other teachers, and many of the students talking about Sirius black escaping from Azkaban this last July..."

I nodded. "I may have overheard a few things about that..."

He continued. "And you are aware of the reason he was sent to Azkaban?"

I shook my head. "No one will tell me a thing about it."

He nodded. "Well, I'm sure you know about what happened with Harry Potter eleven years ago, right?"

I nodded. "He-who-shall-not-be-named killed his parents, right?"

Snape nodded. "Yes. But all that could have been avoided if Potter had not been friends with Black. You see, Dumbledore had gone through great pains to hide the Potter family in a safe house. There were only a few people who knew of the Potter's whereabouts. They were James Potter's friends they called themselves the marauders, and Sirius Black was James Potter's best friend. They were practically brothers. But, Black decided to betray Potter, and as a result, James and Lily died."

I nodded. "Okay..."

He continued. "Another part of the story you need to understand is that Sirius had a girlfriend. Well, it seems sometime before Sirius got caught, and sent to Azkaban, he and his muggle born girlfriend decided to have some 'fun'-"

I interrupted him. "Yuck! Why are you telling me this?!?"

He chuckled at my reaction. "Yeah, I know the idea is just... disgusting. But there is a point to it, trust me."

"Okay. Go on..."

He sighed again. "When he got arrested by the Aurors, his pregnant girlfriend, Ariana Strand ran off to North America. She stayed with her grandparents in a small town called Ponderay in the state of Idaho. About nine months later, while she was on a vacation in Oregon, she had the baby. And she left the baby at an orphanage. And that baby, was you." He let that sink in for a few moments.

    "I'm the daughter of a felon?" I asked.

    He nodded. "Yes. I didn't want to tell you, because if anyone knew, you'd most likely be bullied, or treated differently by your peers. But now, I realize you have the right to know."

    "Thank you for finally telling me. I wish you had told me earlier though..." I confessed.

    He looked at me. "Now that I've told you this, if you see a big, black, shaggy dog, you need to tell me right away. That dog is most likely Sirius Black. He's an animagus."

    "Understood."

    He nodded. "Good. Now that you understand why I wanted you to know about animagi, you may put away your books."

    I put away the books, get up, and stretch. "Now that I don't have to do extra studying, I'm going to take a walk down near the black lake. Is that okay with you?"

    Severus nodded. "Be back before dinner, and Katria,"

    I turned back to him. "Yes?"

    "Stay away from Professor Lupin as much as possible. I don't trust him." He said, seriously.

    I nodded. "Got it. Outside of lessons, I am to avoid Lupin."