Professor Lupin

I walked into Defense Against the Dark Arts class earlier than usual... (in other words, I arrived on time.)

I sat down, and listened to Professor Lupin explain stuff to the class... he seemed to give me weird looks, as if he thought he knew me, but wasn't sure. In hindsight, I probably should have payed more attention to that.

    "I know many of you have at least one muggle parent..." Lupin smiled at a few specific students. "I'm sure a few of you have parents that were apprehensive about you attending a school dedicated to 'witchcraft'." He made air quotes with his fingers.

    A few students nodded,  and a few others rolled their eyes.

    "The reason why they feel this way, is because they don't understand the difference between magic, and the dark arts. Well, it is my job to teach you the difference between these two things. It is also my job to make sure you know how to defend yourself against sinister wizards, and various spells they might try to use against you." As he talked, he paced around the front of the room.

    As he went on with his lesson, I nodded off. I didn't mean to, but I was kind of bored, and the room was nice and warm. I woke up to a little nudge on the shoulder, Lupin looked at me with a stern gaze for a second, and moved on with his lesson.

• • • • •

The lesson ended, and Lupin gestured for me to, as the other students left. I immediately started apologizing. "I'm sorry I nodded off, professor, it was an accident..."

Lupin nodded. "I understand, but I still have to give you detention for not being attentive during class."

I sighed heavily . "That's fair..."

"Detention starts at four o'clock, and ends at six thirty. You will be helping me move desks, and clean up after the third year's class." He looked at the time. "I've held you up too long. Go get some lunch, I'll see you at four."

I walked to the great hall, and sat down at my usual seat, next to Cedric. He was reading a "cute" aka barf worthy love poem that Cho wrote for him. I rolled my eyes, and piled a small helping of leafy salad on my plate. Cho sorely needed a hobby. And chasing boys doesn't count as a hobby.

Snape walked up behind me, and tapped my shoulder. I turned around. He talked to me in a hushed voice. "You're late to lunch... is everything alright?"

I explained what happened. "I nodded off during Professor Lupin's lesson, so he assigned me detention from four to six thirty..."

Snape's face went dark. "You nodded off during class with Lupin?"

I nodded. "Yeah... I'm sorry, I know I fucked up I'll do better, I promise."

He sighed. "I'm not mad I'm just-"

I cut him off. "If you're about to say: 'I'm just disappointed', just don't, because that's honestly worse than you being mad, and you know it."

He narrowed his eyes. "First of all young lady, don't interrupt people that's extremely rude. Second, you know how I feel about swearing. If you swear around me again, you'll be grounded for a whole weekend. Third, don't just pile your plate full of salad and call it a day. Because contrary to popular belief, you need to eat meat and carbs to survive. If I find out you've been eating an unhealthy diet, I will have to handpick the foods you eat to make sure you get proper nutrition."

He walked back to his own seat, and with an absolutely exasperated look on his face.