We Need To Defend Olympus

The only reason I left the strawberry fields was to attend Beckondorf's funeral

The only reason I left the strawberry fields was to attend Beckondorf's funeral. That afternoon we stood around the campfire to burn his burial shroud. The Ares and Apollos cabins called a temporary true to attend. I stood besides my brother who raised a questioning brow when he saw Percy glancing at me throughout the burial and I ignored him.

Beckondorf's shroud was made out of metal links, like chain mail. The metal melted in the fire and turned to golden smoke as it rose into the sky. The campfire flames always reflected the campers' moods, and today they burned black.

I said my condolences to Silena and went straight to my cabin. I was buried under my covers, hugging a pillow to my chest. Pollux entered and gave me a small smile.

"Why aren't you talking with Percy?" Pollux walked over and sat on the edge of my bed. "The poor guy looks like a lost puppy."

"Rachel Elizabeth Dare invited him to go on vacation with her family and he keeps bringing up his supposed death from that stupid prophecy." I grumbled, my heart aching.

"Well, from my observation it looks like Percy chose you instead of that vacation." Pollux told me, already knowing my insecurities. I frowned and hugged the pillow tighter. "Ives, the guy is your soulmate and he chose you, okay? The way that guy looks at you makes the Aphrodite cabin swoon. What did Ariadne tell you last summer?"

"To trust him." I sighed, raking a hand down my face. "This stupid prophecy of him maybe dying is making my head spin. I don't want to lose him. I can't lose him."

"Then stop being a jealous baby and apologize to him." Pollux playfully ruffled my hair. "Maybe in the morning though. You need your beauty sleep or else you'll be even more grouchy."

"Oh, shut up." I breathed out a chuckle, chucking the pillow at him.

"Night Ives." Pollux laughed, slapping hehe pillow away.

"Night, Poll."

🍇

I stood outside the Cabin Three's door.  I hesitantly knocked on the door. There wasn't a response, but that was no surprise. Percy was a deep sleeper. I knocked a little louder.

"Percy?" I called out. Still no response. I sighed, playing with the end of my French braid. "Look, I'm sorry for exploding on you like that yesterday. Can we talk? Please?"

Nothing. Heaving a sigh, I opened the door and peered in. His bed was still made, well messily made. There was no sign of Percy. My heart started to thump loudly in my chest.

"Percy?" I stepped in his cabin and looked around.

Still nothing. I ran toward the sword arena. Maybe he was with Mrs. O'Leary. He always walked her once he came back. Her chew toys were all over the room, but no sign of Percy or the hellhound. I cursed in Ancient Greek.