Hope Is Better At The Hearth

We joined the battle and drove the enemy away from the Empire State Building

We joined the battle and drove the enemy away from the Empire State Building. Clarisse did a majority of the work. Even with king her armor and spear, she was tearing through the enemy. She rode her chariot straight into the Titan's army and crushed everything in her path.

She reignited hope. The panicked centaurs started to rally. The Hunters scrounged arrows from the fallen and launched volley after volley into the enemy. The Ares cabin slashed and hacked. The monsters retreated toward 35th Street.

Clarisse drove to the drakon's carcass and used the vines and a grappling line to loop it through its eye sockets. She dragged the drakon behind the chariot showing off her kill. She charged after the enemy, yelling insults and daring them to cross her. As she rode, I noticed she was literally glowing. An aura of red fire flickered around her.

"The blessing of Ares." Thalia said. "I've never seen it in person before."

For the moment, Clarisse was invincible. The enemy three spears and arrows, but nothing hit her.

"I AM CLARISSE, DRAKON-SLAYER!" She yelled. "I will kill you ALL! Where is Kronos? Bring him out! Is he a coward?"

"Clarisse!" Percy yelled from beside me. "Stop it. Withdraw!"

"What's the matter, Titan lord?" Clarisse continued. "BRING IT ON!"

The enemy slowly began to fall back behind a dracanae shield wall. Clarisse drove in circles around Fifth Avenue, daring anyone to cross her path. The drakon carcass making a hollow scraping noise against the pavement.

We started to tend to our wounded, bringing them inside the lobby. Even after the enemy retreated, Clarisse kept riding up and down the avenue with her trophy demanding that Kronos meet her battle.

"She can't stay out there by herself." I brought up.

"I'll watch her." Chris said. "She'll get tired eventually. I'll make sure she comes inside."

"What about the camp?" Percy asked. "Is anybody left there?"

"Only Argue and the nature spirits." Chris shook his head. "Peleus the dragon is still guarding the tree."

"They won't last long." Perch said. "But I'm glad you came."

"I'm sorry it took so long." Chris nodded sadly. "I tried to reason with Clarisse. I said there's no point of defending camp if you guys die. All our friends are here. I'm sorry it took Silena..."

"My Hunters will help you stand guard." Thalia told him. "Annabeth, Ivy, and Percy, you should go to Olympus. I have a feeling they'll need you up there- to set up the final defense."

We entered the lobby to see the doorman was gone. All that was left was his book facedown on his desk. The rest of the lobby was packed with wounded campers, Hunters, and satyrs. I noticed Mrs. O'Leary outside. I walked over to her while Percy went to meet Connor and Travis Stoll at the elevators. Annabeth went to check on Seth.