Goodbyes & Hellos

We stared up at the Athena Parthenos

We stared up at the Athena Parthenos. Leo's mechanical hoist system had lowered the statue onto the hillside with suprising ease. Now the forty foot tall goddess gazed serenely over the River Acheron, her gold dress like molten metal in the sun.

"Incredible." Reyna admitted.

She was still red eyed from crying. Soon after she'd landed on the Argo II, her pegasus Scipio had collapsed, overwhelmed by poisoned claw marks from a gryphon attack the night before. Reyna had to put the horse out of his misery with her golden knife, turning the pegasus into dust that scattered into the Greek air.

"It looks newly made." Reyna circled the Athen Parthenos warily.

"Yeah." Leo said. "We brushed off the cobwebs, used a little Windex. It wasn't hard."

The Argo II hovered just overhead. With Festus keeping watch for threats in the radar, the entire crew had decided to eat lunch on the hillside as we discussed what to do. My stomach was excited to eat an actual meal beside fire water and drakon stew.

"Hey, Reyna." Annabeth called. "Have some food. Join us."

Reyna glanced over, her dark eyebrows furrowed, as if join us didn't compute. She wore a pair of jeans and a purple Camp Jupiter shirt while her armor was being repaired by Buford.

"All right." Reyna said finally. We scooted over to make room for her in the circle. She sat cross legged next to Annabeth, picked up a cheese sandwich, and nibbled at the edge. "So, Frank Zhang...praetor."

"Well, yeah." Frank shifted, wiping crumbs from his chin. "Field promotion."

"To lead a different legion." Reyna noted. "A legion of ghosts."

Hazel put her arm protectively through Frank's. After an hour in sick bay, the two both looked better. Frank's little "growth spurt" was still something I was registering. He was taller and more bulky. His face looked sturdier, his jawline more rugged.

"Reyna." Jason said. "You should've seen him."

"He was amazing." Piper agreed.

"Frank is a leader." Hazel insisted. "He makes a great praetor."

"I believe you." Reyna's eyes stayed on Frank. "I approve."

"You do?" Frank blinked.

"A son of Mars, the hero who helped to bring back the eagle of the legion..." Reyna smiled dryly. "I can work with a demigod like that. I'm just wondering how to convince the Twelfh Fulminata."

"Yeah." Frank scowled. "I've been wondering the same thing. The legion will listen to you, Reyna. You made it here alone, across the ancient lands."

"In doing so, I broke the laws of the legion." Reyna chewed her sandwich as if it were cardboard.