The Mist Can Be Mean

Annabeth led the tour

Annabeth led the tour. She was explaining all the cool things camp offered. I was quiet a majority of it. My mind was racing with theories and questions. Why did Hera send me a dream? Where did she take Percy? Is he okay?

"Camp Half-Blood is mostly a summer camp, but some kids stay here year round. Just like Ivy." Annabeth glanced at me. "Right, Ives?"

"Hmm?" I looked at the two to see they were staring at me. Annabeth frowned, looking at me in concern. "Oh yeah, I'm a year round camper. It's pretty fun."

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you a year rounder?" Piper asked as we started to climb Half-Blood Hill.

"My mom dumped me here when I was ten." I shrugged. "We didn't really get along. I've been here ever since."

"Oh." Piper got quiet after that, sinking into her own thoughts.

Piper looked at the camp as we got higher up the hill. The view was better to see all twenty cabins. They were laid out to make a Greek omega.

"The valley is protected from mortal eyes." Annabeth explained. "As you can see, the weather is controlled, too. Each cabin represents a Greek god- a place for that god's children to live."

Annabeth and I studied Piper. The girl held a calm appearance. She didn't seem to be freaking out or thinking we were making this all up.

"You're saying Mom was a goddess."

"If your dad is mortal, then yes." I confirmed.

"You're taking this awfully calmly." Annabeth nodded in agreement.

"I guess after this morning," Piper took a shaky breath, "it's a little easier to believe. So who's my mom?"

"That, we don't know." I shrugged.

"We should know soon." Annabeth said. "You're what- fifteen? Gods are supposed to claim you when you're thirteen. That was the deal."

"The deal?"

"They made a promise last summer...well, long story..." Annabeth glanced at me as I frowned, staring at the ground. Percy came to mind, and I fiddled with the hoodie strings. "They promised not to ignore their demigod children anymore. To claim them by the time they turn thirteen. Sometimes it takes a little longer, but you saw how fast Leo was claimed once he got here. Should happen for you soon. Tonight at the campfire, I bet we'll get a sign."

"That's at least one thing the gods respond to." I grumbled under my breath.

"Why thirteen?" Piper asked.

"The older you get, the more monsters notice you, try to kill you. 'Round thirteen is usually when it starts. That's why we send protectors into schools to find you guys, get you to camp before it's too late."

"Like Coach Hedge?"

"Yeah, he's-he was a satyr: half man, half goat." I told Piper.

"Satyrs work for the camp, finding demigods, protecting them, bringing them in when the time is right." Annabeth added.