23

A DAY LATER

Finally, arriving at Jeju Airport again felt like deja vu. We had came back from Seoul after what felt like too long, that place was starting to give me depression again.

The only good thing that came out from the trip was that I bought a new bracelet, well, me and Niki did.

We had matching bracelets essentially, just in different colours. I was against it at first, insisting that he shouldn't get the same bracelet for the sake of rumours, but he ignored everything I was saying and instead - paid for our bracelets with no care in the world.

To be honest, the only reason I didn't want to get matching bracelets was because of Saeron, I didn't want to agitate her any further.

It felt like a long flight, even though it wasn't, it just felt like it dragged. And arriving in Jeju, being able to familiarise with all the houses and the stores, felt so good to me.

The first thing we did was head to Seohee's mother's store. We weren't telling when we were going to come back, so it was just a spontaneous visit.

"Welcome I'll be with you in a sec-" She was cleaning some counters, not really paying attention and only listening to the jingling of the bell at the door.

She lift her head up, her eyes widening with such love and joy. She rushed up to her daughter, encasing her in a tight hug with a smile. I unknowingly had a small smile on my face, a little resentful that I never got something like that whenever I was gone for a few days.

"Oh my Seohee! I missed you so much, how was it?" Miss Hwang asked her daughter, holding onto her shoulders as she chuckled.

"It was so awesome, seriously, we should really go when we have money." Seohee seemed very energetic and lively about this topic, still remaining as jumpy as she was when we were in Seoul.

"Good good, we will one day, now go shower." She pat her daughter on the shoulder, sending her upstairs.

"Hwang Gayoung! Good to see you again!" Niki gave a friendly hug to Miss Hwang, addressing her by her full name for some reason.

"I cannot thank you enough, you both are so amazing." She had tears in her eyes as I dug for something in my bag. I handed her the envelope she gave me for the trip, the one with money.

Her face froze, in shock as I tried to give her the envelope.

"Woah, what? No no, this was for the trip, guys. Please, take it." She insisted, but I didn't budge, grabbing her hand and placing the envelope in her hand.

Niki looked at me, also equally confused.

"Please just spend your money on something else, it's okay." I reassured her, feeling a little sunken at the sight of a mother and daughter that really loved each other, it just kind of hurt.

Before either of them could say anything, I turned around and left, feeling pretty shitty over something that was cute.

The sun was coming down, and I walked around the neighbourhood, in a puddle of my own thoughts. I wondered what it'd be to have a loving mother, to even have a mother at all.

To have a family that actually loved you unconditionally, a family that would even spend all their savings just so you could experience a bit of fun.

I found myself sat on the docks, swinging my feet across the water like I did the first time I came here. I cracked a bottle of soju open as the sun began fizzing down rapidly.

The sunsets here during summer were unreal, a blast of colours everywhere, the colours were deep and rich, seriously a mesmerising view.

But, the sky darkened, the vibrant sky slowly fading into one of darkness and sparkling stars. I sat on the side, observing the glimmering waters while sipping my soju.

I don't know how I ended up here like this, but I suppose it's just how It turned out.

I swallowed the remaining liquid of soju in the first bottle, pulling out another from the bag. I bet my father didn't even care that I quit my job and lived somewhere away from Seoul. He was probably too interested in whatever my brother was doing.

I gave a great sigh, brooding over my own problems that I came here to escape. I guess it's not the place, but instead me.