- 2 -

Chapter song: Anvil - Lorn

Photo above: Leon walking towards Aura

__________________________

"Aura! Fuck, fuck, fuck, Aura wake up!" I'm jolted awake to Katie shaking me half to death, hovering over me.

"What?" I look around, obvious exhaustion in my voice. "Katie what's going on?"

"Theres cops looking for you, your mother told them you're the one who killed your sister" Katie sat back as I shot up. Fuck, does she believe them? Did she talk to them?

"You-... Did you talk to them?" I asked, my eyes wide as I studied her. Hesitation plastered her face as her eyes darted throughout the room, avoiding my eye contact entirely.

"Sort of? They knocked on my door and asked if I knew where you were, they said your mother told them you would be here" She looked to the window, finally meeting my cold gaze.

"Aura why are they saying it was you?" The hesitation faded as fear overcame her, her eyebrows furrowing as her gaze changed.

I sighed, "Katie I told you what happened, no I didn't fucking kill my little sister, are you stupid?"

I shoved her away from me, pushing myself to the edge of her bed. "Aura, stop please, you know I-"

"Oh fuck off Katie, you wouldn't have asked" I grabbed a pair of leggings from my bag and pulled them on, then my boots. I didn't bother to tie them as I got up, snatching up my duffle bag and slinging it over my shoulder in the process.

"If you need me, you have my number" I told her with my back turned. I didn't want to see the expression on her face as I walked away. I made my way quickly into the dining room and through the back door.

If she wanted to, she knew how to stop me. I had too much sympathy for her. She's been alone and she only has me. Although, I also knew she would be okay without me physically being there with her.

"Aura!" I slammed the door shut behind me, taking off in a full sprint towards the woods. I pushed down the tears as I slowed to a stop the second her house was out of sight. She'd forgive me someday...

****

After running for god knows how long, I found myself in an unfamiliar town. What seemed to be abandoned buildings lining the streets. I was out of breath as I took in the state of each building I passed. Some were more put together than others, some were entirely broken down and boarded up.

I walked down the crack filled roads, looking left and right. There were a couple people around, mostly homeless but what would they do? Beg for money? Drugs? Fine by me. Better than getting shot in the head by the cops.

I made my way behind a building, looking over my shoulder to see if anyone was following. Thankfully, nobody was. I pulled a pack of cigarettes out of my flannel pocket, taking one out and popping it into my mouth. I lit it with the lighter stashed in the pack and inhaled the toxic smoke, exhaling as I leaned my back against the brick of the building behind me, shoving the pack back in the same pocket.