- 4 -

Chapter song: Familiar Ground - The Cinematic Orchestra, Fontella Bass

Photo above: Leon and Bob.
__________________________

* 3 days later *

Only a couple of days have passed so far, Leon and I have grown pretty comfortable with each other during the time passed. I learned that he was a heavy smoker like me and his father was abusive towards him and his sister, but that's really the only time I recall anything about his father.

I learned that he was pretty damn smart with who he killed, only going for those who lived alone with no families, homeless people, or even people so old they were on their death bed. He stole the truck from the middle aged country man we devoured.  Like I said, smart. I would've never thought.

The one thing I can't stop thinking about is when he told me he had to flee his hometown cause the people there had found out about him. I could tell he was hiding more of the story but I didn't push to know the rest.

All of this and here we are, driving down a long stretch of a highway, chain smoking cigarettes and sharing silly past time stories from our childhood.

"Your babysitter? Really Leon?" I chuckled, "She was just trying to take care of you dude"

This earned a laugh from him as he shook his head, "Sorry, I was a little demon and bit anyone and everything, although this time it was a lot more than just biting her"

I laughed back at him, throwing my head back. I shook my head and wiped under my eye, trying to contain the laugher wanting to pour out of me.

"Okay so what about you? Who was the first person you ate?" He tapped my knee with my back of his hand, his other hand glued to the steering wheel with his gaze back and forth between me and the road.

"Don't laugh.. please" I gestured, he raised an eyebrow, awaiting my answer.

"It was my cousin"

"What?!" He chuckled. I saw him purse his lips to contain bursting out in a fit of laughter.

"Now you have to tell me about this one, your cousin? Seriously?" He sighed, shaking his head and looked at me with eyebrows raised, awaiting his answer.

"I mean there's not really a story to tell there, we were 6 and he pissed me off so I bit off chunk of his neck, next thing I knew he was bleeding out in the middle of our backyard"

"What did he do to piss you off that bad?" Leon was still laughing.

I rolled my eyes, lowering my voice in embarrassment.  "He stole my candy bar okay? Go on, laugh at me. I was a dick head child with candy attachment issues"