Chapter 13

Jungkook's eyes sparkled with curiosity, mirroring the flickering candlelight on their table. "So, hyung, tell me about you," he urged. "What have you been up to these past six years?"

Seokjin hesitated, a flicker of unease crossing his face. "Well," he began, his voice a touch strained, "I... I opened the restaurant. A luxurious place." Seokjin's smile faltered for a moment, a flicker of pain crossing his eyes before he quickly masked it with a light laugh. "Oh, you know, the usual," he said, his voice slightly strained. "Worked my way up at the bakery, got promoted to manager. Even got a tiny apartment in the city, not far from your new house, actually."

Jungkook's eyes widened slightly, a hint of disappointment flitting across his features. He'd been so excited to hear about Seokjin's dream mushroom bakery, the one they'd once spent countless nights sketching and planning. But the mention of the corporate restaurant, the apartment, felt like a muted echo of his own success, a reminder of the path Seokjin hadn't taken.

Jungkook's ears perked up. "Luxurious Restaurant? That's so cool, hyung! I never would've guessed."

Seokjin's smile was brittle, a thin line against the growing tension in his eyes. Jungkook, oblivious, continued with a flourish, "But wait, didn't you and Taehyung's dad build that luxurious restaurant, Blue Mist Delight? I saw it in a magazine, it looked amazing!"

Seokjin's smile crumbled, replaced by a mask of forced cheer. "Oh, yeah, Blue Mist. It's... doing well." He paused, his voice barely audible, "Taehyung and I... Well, we've been busy running the restaurant, you know."

He sensed the shift in the atmosphere, the awkwardness settling between them like a thick fog. To break the tension, he changed the topic, his voice a tad too eager. "So, how did you and Taehyung meet again? It's been ages since I last saw him."

Jungkook smiled, waiting for Seokjin to reply. "Right, right,"

A touch of awkwardness in Jungkook's voice. "So, how'd you and Taehyung meet again? I heard you two are engaged now."

Seokjin's shoulders relaxed a fraction. "It's actually a funny story," he chuckled, his smile returning, genuine this time. "Turns out, our mothers have been for years. So, we bumped into each other at one of their get-togethers. One thing led to another, and here we are―"

Seokjin sighed, a deep breath that seemed to carry the weight of unspoken words. "It's a long story to tell to another time," he continues, "but basically, our family...arranged our marriage and... I said, that... I love him. He agreed and... things just clicked."

He paused, his eyes softening. "Taehyung's...a good guy, Jungkook. He understands me, supports my dreams, even the crazy ones like the mushroom bakery." He stopped himself from adding anything further, the words catching in his throat. He paused, his gaze drifting away, lost in a sea of memories. "He knows about... everything," he added softly, his voice barely a whisper. "Still, loves me, wants to build a future with me."

The food arrived, a steaming platter of pasta interrupting their conversation. A wave of relief washed over Seokjin, a temporary reprieve from the emotional minefield he'd just entered. Jungkook, sensing his discomfort, switched gears, discussing the merits of various dishes with forced cheer.

Seokjin stared at the swirl donut and ice cream, his eyes glazing over as if lost in a daydream. Jungkook's words, like a pebble dropped in a still pond, sent ripples through his thoughts. "Fish-shaped bread?" he echoed, a spark of curiosity igniting in his gaze.

Jungkook grinned, his eyes twinkling with the memory. "Yeah! It's called Taiyaki, I think. They bake it fresh, crispy on the outside, and fluffy inside. And the ice cream... oh man, it melts in your mouth like a summer dream."