Chapter 14

Alex's POV

I lied. Not even five minutes of being in the ballroom, I wander off from the group and am now strolling thought the halls, getting lost as I looked at things.

You can't blame me, feeling multiple pairs of eyes watching every little move you make as they judge you will make anyone uncomfortable.

Plus, with so many Alpha around my anxiety was at its peak. Throughs of getting hurt or, worst, someone getting interested in me was racing through my head the entire few minutes I was in there.

So, when the others attention wasn't on me, I quietly slipped away without any of them noticing. I've always been good at sneaking off, which gets Nini mad because one second I'm there, the next, gone.

She said she's buying me bells so she could hear my every move but I'll find way to get past that. She should know this by now, I'm not a people person. Especially when the people are alphas. I'll do everything in my power to avoid people at all cost.

Speaking of Alphas, looking at the painting of the late king of werewolves, I'm started to wonder on how he was killed.

He was no way near a young man, he was old but very skilled with combat, said to be the best in werewolf history. Ruling a kingdom that needed constant protection for a thousand years does that to you I guess.

You get stronger, gain more knowledge, and have to pass your limits. The man protected by the goddess they called him and yet he was killed during the Great War between species.

At the beginning, the Werewolves were on their own but will still steadily rising the tides against the Orcs and Trolls who wanted more land. He fought for two years before mysteriously getting poisoned.

No one knew how he was poisoned since Orcs and Trolls ain't know for using poison and the Vampire were trying to avoid getting in the mix of our conflict and even said that the King could be considered a friend to them.

Confused, the king was buried beside his deceased wife. No one could mourn properly because the enemy immediately started attacking when the King's death reached their ears.

The King's eldest son quickly took the throne and sent his only sister to start getting some allies for help.

Which she slowly found. But what's funny about the allies she made is that all four of the rulers were her mates. A huge shock to everyone. Including her eldest brother, who soon died five years after his father as the allies started sending soldiers and supplies to help. The shortest reign in history.

His sister, the princess, was straight away crowned. And eight years later, we won the war. A war that impacted nearly every nonhuman species and we're all still recovering to this day.

I feel bad for the Queens, the war killed thousands if not millions of their people and their parents were part of the fallen. Nearly all of them were way too young to take the thrown.

"What are you doing here!" I squealed, jumping out of my skin as I quickly spinned around to see a young guy standing there, leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. His stare cold. "I'll ask again, what are you doing here?"

His voice is so intimidating! "I-I was wandering around. Got lost." Him staring at me with those deadly eyes is making me nervous as I pulled myself together. Unsettled that he managed to sneak up on me, I'm normally more alert of my surroundings.

He studied me in silence for what felt like an eternity. Looking me up and down before growling, pushing himself off the wall and turning around. "Follow me." Without saying anything else, he started to walk away.

I took a moment to think before trailing after him. We stayed in silence has he took me back to the ballroom.

Who is he? It feels like I've seen him before but I can't remember where and it's kind of bugging me. I tried my very hardest on remembering where I saw him, looking back at memories but couldn't figured it out by the time we reached the ballroom.

As soon we reached the doors, he ditched me without saying a word. I huffed at his rudeness and me not wanting to go back out there. But the others might be worried about me so.

Taking a deep breath, I hesitantly walked into the ballroom. The second I did, I felt eyes back on me again, feeling their judgment.

"Where the hell did you?" Zack asked when I stood right next to him. "Nini nearly sent Harper to look for you." I shrugged. "I was exploring."

"I bet you saw something shiny and went to steal it." Without hesitation, I kicked his shin. He shouldn't blast my secrets out for all to hear. That's embarrassing.

Zack let out a small ow as he reached down to rub the place where I kicked him. "Not my fault I like shiny things. And by the way, I'm not dumb enough to steal from royalty, Zeke." I know better. I've stole from Arthur through.

He grumbled under his breath, reaching over to mess with my hat where I promptly pushed him away. "Anything but the hat, you jerk." He grinned, sticking out his tongue at me as I fixed my hat.

"Enough." Harper popped out of nowhere and bonk the back of Zack's head. "Didn't I tell you to behave." Zack lightly growled, staring at our leader as he rubbed his head. "She started it."

"And I'm ending." Max held in her laughter and was failing to do so while Nini looked away, trying to do the same. Her shoulders shaking from her effort. "Now act accordantly, her highness is entering the room any moment now."

At right on cue, a guard next to the doors announce for all to hear, "All hail The Protector of Wolves, Champion of war, and Shield of the People, Queen Emma."

-

Author: One of the queens were supposed to meet Alex today but I changed my mind last second to make you all wait longer 🥰