06

The four of them were walking around the middle of the woods. "Somewhere ahead, this turns into a satyr path." Grover said. "What's a satyr path?" Percy asked him.

"It's a road through the wilderness. Satyr explores use them. Harder to track us."

"That's great, but if we stay in the wilderness, how are we gonna find a phone?" Percy asked. Annabeth turned her head to them. "What do we need a phone for?" She asked him.

"So we can call camp. T-to get help." Percy said. "We don't need help. We're fine." She said and Percy scoffed. "We're fine? We haven't even gotten to Trenton and we're wandering through a forest, I didn't even know they had forests in Nee Jersey, but we found one."

"I would say we're the opposite of fine." Percy added. "We were sent on a quest by the Oracle, by the gods. What'd you think, it would be easy?" Annabeth asked.

"It's supposed to be hard. That's why only certain people are chosen. If we call camp, we're basically saying it was a mistake to choose us."

"I'm completely comfortable with that. Everyone makes mistakes." Percy said and Annabeth stopped walking and they all stood there.

"Why are you so afraid of who you are?" Annabeth asked. Percy looked at Grover and Nadia before looking back at her. "What?"

"You know, what's interesting about this particular satyr path is it's actually the one my uncle Ferdinand took when he set out on his own quest." Grover interrupted.

"What was that supposed to mean, afraid of who I am? I'm not afraid." Percy said. "Yes, you are. You aren't just a kid. 'Just a kid' doesn't do what you did to Clarisse back at camp. 'Just a kid' doesn't have shades sending top lieutenants to retrieve them." Annabeth said.

She took a breath before speaking again. "You know, you are a part of something so much bigger than we can understand right now. We have to move forward whether you like it or not, whether you want to or not."

"You don't want to call camp, fine. Then, at least let's call your mom." Percy said. "Excuse me?"

"Athena? Your mother. I'd call my father but we aren't exactly on speaking terms. You know, because of the lifelong neglect and all but you and your mother seem close. So, why don't we ask her go help?" Percy asked.

Annabeth looked over at Grover. "Grover, will you explain to your friend that he needs to pull himself together?" She asked.

"You can't ask her, can you? When was the last time she talked to you?" He asked. "Grover."

"I don't know why you keep pulling him into this. He's on my side." He said. Annabeth turned her head to him. "What makes you think that?"

"He's my protector, it's his job."

"He was my protector first." She said.

"Actually, he was mine first but I'll just shut up." Nadia awkwardly said. "First? What do you mean first?" Percy asked.

"Very exciting, getting to walk in uncle Ferdinand's footsteps. Next best thing to getting to talk to him again." Grover said.

"Thalia, Luke, and Annabeth had a satyr protector. That was you. Why didn't you tell me?" Percy asked him.

"Do you guys smell that?" Grover asked and they all looked at him. "Grover I'm not kidding."

"No, neither am I. Just shush."

"Hamburgers." Grover said walking away and they followed him.

"Grover, what are you going?" Annabeth asked. "Somebody's making hamburgers in the middle of nowhere, on a satyr path. Whoever it is... they're from our world." He said.

They walked by a building with a bunch of stone figures. "On come on." Annabeth muttered.
"What?" Percy asked her.

"Aunty 'Em' has a garden full of petrified stone folks. Yeah, this is someone from our worlds, all right." She said as they continued to walk.

"Anyone want to guess what 'Em' is short for?" She asked and they all stopped in front of one of the statues. "Oh." Grover said.

"Let's get out of here, please, while we still can." Annabeth said and they turned just to see a Fury land in their way.

Percy handed the box to Grover and he took out his sword. Alecto put her wings behind her. "You should have accepted my offer when you had the chance." She said, looking at Annabeth.

"Offer? What offer is she talking about?" Percy asked. "Not today, friends." A woman called out. "Not on my doorstep." She said.

They all looked to see a lady in a dress walking towards them. "Oh shoot." Annabeth said and she turned her head away. Grover did the same.

Percy looked at them and did the same, as for Nadia. She remained still, looking at her.

"If you have something to resolve, why not come inside and I'll help? Alecto? Will you be joining us?" The woman asked and the fury didn't say anything to her.

"No, well I wouldn't think you would. She won't bother you as long as you're with me. But it isn't as though she'll leave either, not if it means reporting that she said to retrieve the son of Poseidon." She said.

"How did you—" Percy started to say.

"A forbidden child has been claimed. How long did you think that secret would keep? It's a pleasure to meet you son of Poseidon. I'm Medusa."