20

(Buckle up- 2k words)

It was now dark outside and Luke was walking with a lantern in his hands. Nadia was on his left while Percy was on his right as they walked.

The fireworks started and they looked up at them. Luke patted Percy's back and pointed at the sky. "Talk about a celebration. They really pulled out all the stops for you." He said and Percy didn't say anything.

"Come on, you've said, like, two words since we left the cabins." Luke said, looking at him.

"Just...thinking about what the orcacle said. That I'll fail to save what matters most in the end." Percy said and they stopped walking.

"You're thinking about your mom. I get that. Believe me, I do." He said, setting the lantern down on the rocks and turning back to them.

"But prophecies? Those things are so vague." He said. "The quest is over, and everything the oracle said has either come true or makes sense."

"Has it?"

Nadia noticed Luke's body language change. "You shall go west and face the god who has turned." Percy said and Luke thought for a moment. "Ares. Okay."

"Find what was stolen and see it returned."

"Clearly the bolt." Luke said.

"And you shall be betrayed...by one who calls you a friend." Percy said and Luke closed his mouth, not taking his eyes off of him.

"Well, the reason Clarisse is still here is because... you never said anything to Chiron about her, did you?" Percy asked him.

Luke opened his mouth to speak but Percy started speaking. "You couldn't because you knew Clarisse didn't steal the bolt."

"You did."

Nadia looked from Percy to Luke. She knew Luke was hiding something from everyone. She should have known that he was the one to steal the bolt.

"You worked with Ares to plant it on me so when the shoes you gave me pulled me down into Tartarus, the bolt would be delivered right to Kronos."

Luke paused for a moment. "I didn't think you'd give 'em to Grover to wear." He said.

"I am your friend. Percy, none of this was meant to betray you." Luke said.

"The gods are my enemy. You...I'm here to recruit." Luke said taking a step towards them. Nadia took a step closer to Percy and Luke looked at her.

"Recruit?" Nadia asked him.

Luke turned to the side and summoned a sword. Percy reached in his pocket and did the same. Nadia flicked her wrist, also, summoning her sword.

"Easy. I don't want to fight." Luke said, holding up his other hand. "This is what I wanted to show you guys." He said, standing up straight and holding it out.

"This...is our way out."

"Way out of what?" Percy asked him. Luke turned around and carved a line into a pillar. "Camp." He said turning back around and looking at them.

"And their control. Backbitter can open secret doors. We can stay on the run as long as it takes." Luke said, stepping towards them.

"Stop saying "we." Percy said.

"It's the word Zeus fears the most. The gods want us to fight for them, worship them, fear them. And they couldn't care less what we want." Luke said, his voice breaking.

"They're bad parents, Percy. And they've gotten away with it for far too long."

He had a point though. Nadia didn't like the gods at all. She didn't care what happens to them.