34. Ashes

**This chapter contains mature subject matter.**
⚠️

Angels Like You - Miley Cyrus🎶

🎶

They say your life flashes before your eyes before you die.

The memories of your whole life, flying past in your mind like a movie. The highest moments and the lowest, the pain and the love. Everything you've said and done, coming at you like a freight train.

But that never happened for me. Not when I turned, not when my family died, not even when I tried to end it myself. There was nothing. Nothing but darkness and silence. Your body going numb, weightless as it soared through dark energy, covering your body like a shadow, getting you further and further away from reality.

The familiar feeling was so strong and real, that I knew that I was getting dangerously close to disappearing again. Whether it was from fear, loss or that my mind and body had just taken enough beatings. But as I squeezed my eyes shut and held my arms across my chest, hearing only the sound of my rapid heart in my head, I knew that even if he did come find me, I was already gone.

I was on an endless loop of tragedies and betrayals. If it wasn't from one person it was from the next. Secrets and lies and above all that, she was missing.

Clara was missing.

My beautiful sweet friend was gone. I never realized how much I had taken her for granted until I stopped hearing her laugh. Stopped feeling her bear hugs and listening to her slur after the first bottle of her favorite wine as she danced in the kitchen.

I felt responsible, guilty. Because if I had just left them alone at the bar that night, maybe we wouldn't be here. Maybe Clara wouldn't have been attacked by.. me. I shuddered at the hazy memory of last year. Maybe she'd still be here, maybe we'd both still be.

I tried bringing her face to my mind, tried so hard to recall her voice and how it calmed me even in my darkest days. She was my rock, my sister, my bestfriend. And I failed her.

It was pretty evident that Vera was never gone.

Whether JK lied to me when he said he took care of her, or that she never left to begin with despite his words. Better yet, maybe that was a lie too. I should've never had taken that cab that night, never left the bar with Jimin the time after either. I should've waited for Clara, gone home together like we always used to do. I couldn't trust anyone anymore, not even myself. And the worst part was, she trusted me even though a million whispers begged her that she shouldn't.

She trusted me, and now she's gone.

Pain churned my stomach, forcing me to swallow down more bile as I whimpered, rocking myself slightly back and forth. Feeling the heat of the car cover my skin and bring forth tiny goosebumps in its wake. Finally opening my eyes and seeing my dirty cut up feet from no shoes, and my opened wounds on my knees from falling. I winced at the sting as my adrenaline was coming back down now.