Chapter 3

"Hey, time to get up," Lin says banging on my door. I get up suddenly and start getting dressed quickly.

"What is the problem?" I ask, thinking it strange that Lin came to get me this early.

"Madam has guests coming over and you need to get ready and be presentable" She explains exasperatedly. I understand why she feels this way since Mother-in-Law occasionally has company over and I need to pretend that we have a good relationship and that I am being treated well.

 I put on my best dress, which is already looking pretty old and out of style already. I wear it so infrequently so I guess it is fine enough to receive the company. Mother-in-Law barely lets me talk to them anyway.

 I am more of a servant than a daughter-in-law. I serve them tea and bring in the snacks and then sit quietly beside them and only speak when spoken to, as the rules have been made well known to me. The punishment of saying anything that could be misconstrued to me being mistreated does not end well for me.

 I have learned you just need to say some praises of the guests and act like a dutiful daughter-in-law and the occasion will pass by quietly. I quickly make my way into the main room and bow my head to mother-in-law, she just nods her head at me. I guess she is in a good mood to have company as she loves to brag about Changwei and how well he is doing in his military career.

 I don't mind since it is the only time I get to hear what is even happening with him. That is how I knew that he had been promoted to General which of course is a great honor as not that many people get that far in the military. His salary has greatly increased which at least means more food that is available, as some years felt pretty scarce for my meals.

 The servants announce that Madam Ying and Madam Zhao have arrived and they are brought into the same room. They are seated and we greet them, I go and get the tea and start pouring for them.

"Danni you are looking too thin, you really should not worry about that and eat more" Madam Ying tells me.

"Yes I really should eat more, I will try to" I say smiling and glancing at Mother-in-Law who has a stern look on her face. I try to steer the conversation in a different direction.

"I love the design on your dress" I say pointing out Madam Zhao's dress as I pour her a cup of tea.

"Thank you dear, my son bought it for me, he told me it was the latest design brought into the store, you really should both come in and pick out some new clothing. I am sure you have many things to celebrate as your son keeps making great achievements for the kingdom" She says happily.

Mother-in-Law gets lost in the conversation the minute Changwei is brought up and I am left to rest as they talk and brag about their lives. Their conversation is making me sleepy, but I know I will get in trouble if I don't stay engaged in the conversation so I try my best to nod and stay interested even though I am hoping it will end soon. 

The only good part is that I get to eat some of the cookies and desserts and put some in my pockets for later as I never get to eat them otherwise. Once they leave I start walking back to my room as I have to get a head start on transcribing the next book. My room is in the far corner of the manor and thankfully it is right by the outside wall which makes it easy for me to climb over when I want to sneak out.

No one else's living quarters are close by, which works in my favor because no one keeps an eye on me especially when it gets dark. The lamps aren't really lit at my end of the manor either so the darkness is a good deterrent for people to even check up on me.

 I was moved out here after Father-in-Law passed away, I guess if I was hidden away Mother-in-Law wouldn't even have to see me. One of the hardest things that happened was that Li Ling was sent back home to my family. This happened before anything truly terrible had happened yet and the explanation given to my family was that I had plenty of servants and didn't need her anymore.