Chapter 14

I am taken to my room and there I find Mimi waiting for me.

"How did it go my Lady?" Mimi asks.

"Everything went well and the General is staying longer to speak with his Majesty" I explain and she nods her head.

"Have you not seen anything more gorgeous?" She says and gestures to the room,expensive decorations and beautiful decor.

"No, I haven't seen something so pretty in a long time" I say while touching a vase with flowers.

"I will go and bring you some snacks" Mimi says and leaves the room. I let out a deep sigh and I feel relieved that I have survived until this point. Changwei didn't look too pleased with me and I try to think what was so upsetting about what I had said to the Emperor.

 I lay down on the bed intending just to relax, but I end up falling asleep. When I awaken, I sense someone close to me looking over me and I open my eyes expecting to see Mimi, but it isn't her so I yelp out loud.

"Danni it is only me" and I realize it is Changwei and I clutch my chest and sit up in bed.

"What is happening? Is everything alright?" I say concerned he is here to give me bad news.

"Nothing is wrong, but I am meant to stay here with you" He says quietly.

"What? Why?" I say confused.

"We are a married couple and they expect us to be together for the night, but I can sleep on the floor tonight" He says quickly and I don't say anything, but stare at him.

"You should come and have supper with me, I told Mimi to let you sleep, but you should eat something now" He says changing the topic and I just nod my head and follow him over to the table. I admire the food presented with the different kinds of meat and special fancy dishes that I almost forget about our sleeping arrangements.

 I eat quickly as the food is the best thing I have ever eaten and when I slow down I notice Changwei staring me down with a hard look in his eye and I almost choke on my mouthful of food.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask after I swallow.

"What were you trying to do back there with the Emperor? Bringing your family into the conversation?" He says without blinking.

"I didn't mean anything, it just slipped out before I could even think" I say confused at what he was trying to get at.

"Really? I am supposed to take this as you just want to see your family, nothing else?" He asks with his eyebrows raised.

"Well, actually" I say and see his face harden even more and I pause unsure of what is wrong.

"Actually, the emperor looks very much like my Father and I just felt the urge to see my family in his presence" I say.

"I am supposed to believe that when I told you the only way you could divorce me was if I left you at your parent's house? Are you trying to leave me? forcing me to use the Emperor?" He says, still looking angry. I stood up almost appalled that he would think I could be underhanded and full of schemes.

"I forgot that you even said that to me and frankly if I wanted to force a divorce then I could have told the Emperor many other things, but I am not like that" I say and then I leave the room and go outside into the yard unsure of where to even go, as I am unfamiliar with my surroundings. So I just go and sit on the bench near the house where there is a small garden.

 I am so frustrated with him, he is so hard to have a discussion with and all we tend to do is get upset with each other. Why is my life like this? Why am I in an Imperial Palace when just a few short weeks ago, I was locked in my room transcribing books. I guess it isn't so bad now, being away from Mother-in-Law and traveling and maybe even being able to see my parents.