Chapter 10

I wake up with a start and see I am in a room and not the carriage. I sit up in bed confused about what happened and how I got here and then I remembered that we are at an Inn. I get out of bed and look around when the door opens up and Mimi appears and I feel at ease.

"My Lady, are you alright?" Mimi says.

"Oh yes, I am feeling better" I say and she brings over some food, I feel starved so I quickly eat everything.

"You must have been starving, you barely ate yesterday" and I just nod my head and after she helps me get dressed and takes me downstairs. Changwei is waiting by the carriage and helps me and Mimi onto it. I am surprised that he doesn't come and talk to me, but also thankful as I don't really want to talk about yesterday and just want some time alone.

 After a couple of hours I peek my head out of the carriage and ask the driver to stop and we come to a stop. Changwei comes riding back on his horse from the front of the group and yells out about what happened and the driver explains I ordered him to stop.

 I come out of the carriage and I declare that I want to walk for a bit because it is too stuffy in the carriage. He comes riding over to me looking down at me and I can see he is displeased with this idea and I feel myself wavering.

"My body hurts, I can't sit anymore" I finally say awkwardly, he nods and jumps off of his horse and starts walking beside me not saying anything. I wonder if he thinks I am planning to sneak away and make a break for it. We walk for what seems like an hour and he has stuck close to me, I look up at him and he meets my eyes and I quickly look back at the ground.

"Are you doing okay? Do you want to go back in the carriage?" He asks and I just nod my head and he stops the carriage. I start climbing up but I miss a step and I start falling. I hit something soft and I open my eyes and see that Changwei has caught me with one arm. He lifts me back up and I start moving again to get into the carriage without either of us saying a word.

I hear some noise after hours of sitting in the carriage and I peek my head outside.

"What is the noise I hear?"

"It is a traveling group of refugees my Lady" Rui-Chan answers me and comes up the side of the carriage on his horse.

"Where are they going?" I ask.

"I am not sure they seem to be heading in the same direction, to the capital" He explains.

"Rui-Chan we will stay overnight with the refugees as they look to be camping for the night, it is safer in larger numbers, please take lead of this" Changwei says as he comes up beside Rui-Chan on his horse and Rui-Chan goes to the front to lead everyone.

"What happened to make the people leave like this?" I ask.

"There can be many reasons, but I have heard of some drought in the west, they could be leaving for lack of food, if I had to guess" Changwei explains and I just nod my head unsure of what else to say to him.

 Eventually the carriage is stopped and I get out, but as I step out, a little girl runs into me carrying water and I get splashed everywhere. One of the soldiers comes up and starts scolding the child, but I stop him and help the little girl up.

"It's alright, it was only an accident" I say.

"Thank you, my lady" She says and bows her head with tears in her eyes. I bend over and grab her hands.

"What is your name?"

"My name is Mei-Hua"

"Mei-Hua, where are you?" an elderly woman comes forward calling for her.

"Is this your child?" I ask the woman.

"Yes this is my grandchild, she was just getting us some water after our long trek, has she disturbed you my lady? I will apologize on behalf of my grandchild" The woman says, starting to bow, but I grab her hands and tell her that there has been no harm done.

 I tell the soldier to go and fetch some water for the girl and the grandmother. Mimi comes over and she tells me that my food is being prepared and that I should go now, but I stop her and say I will eat with the child and grandmother and to bring my food and any extra over to us.

 I go and sit with the Grandmother and Mei-Hua. I ask them about why they are without a home. Grandmother explains that the drought has gotten very bad, there is no food that will grow and she has had to take care of her grandchild alone because her parents died when there was a plague that came through the village.

 I feel horrible thinking about the plight of other people and how I shouldn't be upset because at least no one in my family has died. Mimi comes over and joins us and brings some meat and buns and I share them and invite Mimi to also join us. Mei-Hua is such a sweet child that even though she has lost so much, her smile and playful demeanor makes me happy.

"May I join you?" and I turn around and see an elderly man standing in front of us.

"The child's laughter has made me happy and it makes me lonely to be by myself" The elderly man explains.

"Yes please join us" I say and he sits down next to us.

"Yes, the times have surely been hard and I have lost everything important to me, but yet a child's laugh can still make me smile" He explains.

"Yes I agree, have you also left your town because of drought?" I ask.

"Yes there have been plagues and drought, the times are really hard and I have to make the journey alone, I don't know what I am going to do" He says sadly.

"You can come with us," Mei-Hua says and holds his hand.

"Really, can I?" He asks his eyes lightening and the Grandmother nods her head. We talk and reminisce about childhoods and good memories until it starts getting dark.

"My Lady, we should really be getting back, the General will be concerned" Mimi says urging me.

"Oh is your husband a General?" The elderly man asks.

"Yes, I must get back now, hopefully I will be able to see everyone tomorrow" I say and wave to them and start walking back to the carriage. I wait inside the carriage for Mimi to come back, but she is taking a really long time and it is getting pretty dark. 

I don't have a candle or torch with me so I can't go and look for her. I hear some voices in the distance so I decide to get off the carriage and as I walk around it I see some men with torches. I decide I should get closer to see if I can get them to check on Mimi for me since they are part of the General's group of men.