Chapter 33

"Danni we are home" Changwei says while he hops off the horse and then helps me down and takes my hand and walks us into the house. Everyone comes and greets us and Zi-Ming and Zi-Wei come over and ask about their dad. 

We explain that he was behind us and was going at a slower pace with the supplies and carriage. We briefly explain the situation before I tell them that I really need to rest for a bit.

"How are you feeling now?" Changwei asks as we head to our room.

"I am exhausted and I would like to have a bath" I say and he calls for a maid to come and help me with a bath. When I come out of the bath later I sit down and start brushing my hair and Changwei comes over and takes my brush from me.

"Something is wrong isn't it?" Changwei says in a serious tone and starts brushing my hair.

"What do you mean?" I say confused.

"Zi-An has been overly concerned about you and you have been looking very pale and unhealthy, please just tell me what is going on? I am very worried" He says and bends down to hold my hands and I start to laugh.

"There is nothing wrong with me, but I do have something I want to tell you" I say and I make him stand up and lead him over to the bed and sit down next to him.

"It's true I haven't been feeling very well, but the reason isn't a bad one, it's because I"m pregnant" I say and he looks so surprised and doesn't say anything.

"You mean pregnant with a child?" He says in a questioning tone.

"Well yes what else would it be?" I say chuckling.

"You are going to be a Mom and I am going to be a Dad?" He asks and starts smiling and I nod at him.

"It is still early so I didn't want to get your hopes up and I didn't want to share the news in that dreadful place" I explain.

"It will be okay, I will try and help you in any way I can, even if something happens I will be here for you no matter what" He says and wraps his arms around me.

"I had wanted to tell you in a more beautiful way, but this is better than making you worried" I say.

"Oh sorry I just was worried that something was wrong" He says with a chuckle.

"I'm happy, but I am also very scared," I say in an almost whisper.

"Why? What are you scared about?" He turns me around and looks me in the eyes.

"I just have so many fears, I don't know if I can be a good mother, I told your Mother that I would be better than her but what if I can't be better?" I say.

"Of course you will be" He says and grasps my face with his hands.

"You don't know that" I say and look down.

"You will be a good mother! What else are you worried about" He says.

"I am worried about the pain and I have seen people die from childbirth" I say and he just nods his head.

"You won't die, and everything will be fine" He says and I hit his shoulder.

"You don't know that, no one can know that, why are you so reassured it won't happen" I say getting mad.

"That is right, no one knows what will happen so it doesn't help to believe bad things will happen. It is just as easy to believe that only good things will happen" He explains.

"But I can't stop worrying," I say.

"Alright, then I will lend you my confidence and reassurance, anytime you have these worries I will disagree with them until you feel better" He says and I just laugh.

"Alright, I am worried I will die" I say and he shakes his head back and forth.

"Danni is going to give birth to a beautiful baby and will not die" He says and I look at him and he repeats it ten more times.

"Do you feel better?" He says and I nod my head and lean back on him.

"I never thought a day like this could come to me" I say.

"A day where you are happy?" he asks.

"Yes, a day where I could have hope and dream about a beautiful future, that I could shed the title of an abandoned bride and become a beloved wife" I say and I lean against his chest and pull his big arms around me and he grasps me tight.

"Danni, you were always a beloved wife and never an abandoned bride" He says and lifts my chin up with his hands and softly places his lips against mine.

8 months later

"Danni don't move so much it isn't good for the baby" Mimi says as she forces me to sit down as I was just trying to get outside for some fresh air.

"I need to move a little bit" I protest.

"Alright, but you could give birth any day now so you need to be careful" Mimi says and I just nod my head.

"What is taking Changwei? He said that he was going to be home at this time" I ask.

"I'm not sure where the General is? He did go out early today" Mimi responds.

"Danni, sorry to keep you waiting, I have a surprise for you" Changwei says coming into the courtyard.

"A surprise?" I ask and as I stand up I see my Mother walking in the distance.

"Mom is that you?" I say and she starts waving when she sees me.

"Danni you look so big" Mother says and touches my belly.

"What are you doing here?" I ask still surprised.

"Your husband asked me to come and be here with you for the birth, so he came to get me today so I could stay with you" She explains.

"Really, that is so lovely" I say and start tearing up and my Mother just embraces me.

"I am scared Mother, what if something goes wrong, I have never done this before" I say still hugging my Mother.

"I will stay with you so nothing will go wrong, I have been present at many births and will be able to help you" She reassures me and I start to feel better. Changwei comes up besides and wraps his arm around my back and helps me sit back down.

"What a lovely surprise" I say and look up at him and he wipes a stray tear running down my face.

"I thought you might need your mom here" He says and I just smile at him.