Chapter 27

The next morning I feel him get out of bed and start getting dressed and I feel a heavy dread upon my chest and sit up in bed.

"I didn't want to wake you" He says getting his boots on.

"Do you have to go? Can you not refuse?"I say, hating myself for even asking.

"I'm sorry Danni" He says touching my face gently and pulls me into a hug and kisses the top of my head.

"If you have to go then you have to promise me Changwei that you have to stay safe" I say feeling the tears well up in my eyes.

"I promise I will stay safe and come home to my wife as soon as possible" He whispers into my ear and wipes my tears and then he has to leave. I can't even watch him leave with a smile. I then curl up into a ball and cry softly to myself.

The days go by slowly and Mimi tries to force me to do things and get out of bed, but I can barely seem to face the world.

"What is wrong with me Mimi?" I say one day as I sit in the garden trying to drink some tea.

"What do you mean?" she asks.

"I never knew what he was doing for the last 10 years and have always found a way to carry on, but now I feel so anxious and worried about him and can't even eat not knowing where he is and if he is safe" I say.

"You love him now, that is the difference! You have received his love and that is why it is painful" She answers. I can't refute what she says and I just nod my head.

"This sense of being abandoned is also really scary again, this sickening feeling rising through my whole body and taking up residence in my heart is painful" I say.

"Should I call a Physician?" Mimi asks with her eyebrows up and concern in her eyes.

"I don't think they can help with this, just stay with me" I say, patting her hand.

"You need to eat more, I think I should call a Physician" She says looking at me. A servant comes over and Mimi goes and talks to him.

"A military officer is here, do you want to talk to him?" Mimi asks and I stand up and follow the servant.

"Where is the General?" I say as I quickly go over to the officer.

"There has been some problems at the border, General Song has gone missing. The Grassland authorities are claiming that the General has run off with the tributes and never went across into their territory" He explains.

"What do you mean? The General is missing?" I say.

"We don't know? We clearly saw him go alone across the border, but we don't know what happened afterwards."

"How can they claim this, they are the ones that took him obviously" I say starting to get mad.

"We wanted to let you know and the Emperor has been notified, unfortunately the officials at the court want to declare him a traitor."

"How can they do this​? Nothing has been confirmed" I say and start to feel my knees get weak and I feel for the chair behind me and I sink down into it.

"I'm sorry madam, I will try to come back if I hear more news" He says and turns around and leaves.

"Mimi, how can this be?" I say.

"There must be more to this, General Song is not a traitor, it will be okay" She says and wraps her arms around me.

The next couple of days I spend in agony going over and over what could have happened to Changwei and I start feeling very agitated.