Chapter 24

"Danni"

"Hmm," I say, realizing I was drifting off.

"We are at your parent's house" He says and I open my eyes and see the front gate of my house.

"Oh, I didn't mean to fall asleep" I say looking up at him and see a smile on his face.

"I think I passed the test didn't I?" He says.

"What?" I say confused and before we can say anything more I see my family come out of the gate to greet us.

The door swings open to the carriage and my parents are calling for me and so I quickly get up and step out of the carriage into their embrace.

"Danni we have so missed you" My Mother says.

"I have missed you too" I say and I feel tears building up in my eyes and I step back from their embrace and see my parents with tears in their eyes.

"We didn't know if we would see you again" My Father says.

"I am so thankful to be able to come and visit" I say and wipe my tears rolling down my face.

"You look too thin my dear, are you not eating?" My Mom exclaims and as she says this Changwei steps out of the carriage.

"Mother-in-Law, Father-in-law, I give you my greetings" Changwei says bowing his head to them.

"Son-in-Law welcome to our humble home" My Father answers him.

"I apologize for not taking better care of Danni. She had a brief illness while we were in the Imperial Palace" Changwei says with an apologetic tone.

"What? you were sick?" My Mother says grabbing my hands.

"Yes, but I am fine now. It has been a stressful time, but it is all over now and I am excited to eat your cooking'' I say trying to lighten the mood.

"My dear but from the letters you sent, your husband cooks delicious meals as well. We should let him cook us something as well" My Mom says looking expectantly at me and Changwei.

"Oh Mom, Changwei has just recuperated from his own injury. It would be best to not stress it right now, maybe next time" I say trying to stop this from happening.

"Oh no, I am sure your cooking is so much better than mine Mother-in-Law. Maybe next time I will be in a better state to be able to cook for you" The Changwei says smiling at me.

"We don't have much room these days as your cousin Tai Yu, do you remember her? She is staying with us for the time being so is it alright if I put you in your old room?" My mom says.

"Yes, whatever works, we are only staying for a couple days, I hope that is alright?" I ask.

"Of course you are welcome any time, as long as you don't mind the cramped quarters" Mom says, taking my hand in hers and leads me to my old room while Changwei follows behind me.

"I will let you guys get cleaned up and you can join us for supper when you are ready. I will get a maid to fetch you some water to refresh yourselves" She says and leaves us alone. I start walking out the door.

"Where are you going?" Changwei asks.

"I just want to go for a walk before the meal," I explain.

"Let me come with?"

"No you can rest, I want to be alone" I say and he just nods and doesn't say anything more. I walk out of our room and start walking in the courtyard and I stand looking at my old house full of all my memories. 

Chien-Jie, my brother lives here with his wife and children and he is preparing to take over my Father's business. I am happy that everyone is doing well and is healthy. I am also excited that my two sisters are going to be joining us for the meal Li-Ning and Liu-Xiu, I had heard they have gotten married over the years and have had a couple of children each.