Chapter 11 - "Are all demons self-centered?"

MAKARIA

Confusion spread through my brain as I read the sentence again. My dear mother who is dead, left a message for me on Earth, as if she knew I was going to come. But that was impossible. She was a witch, yes, but no one can predict the future. The future changes and there was no way that my mother could know that I would come one day.

Which only leaves that she wasn't dead.

My eyes water for the first time in centuries at the revelation. It was impossible, yet I felt a small percentage of hope that she might be alive.

But the question was, why would she leave a message like this and what did she mean by it?

Does the mystery she meant was the killings that were happening at the school? Or the curse that had been placed on this poor land and its inhabitants?

Maybe both.

I turned the pages and started reading. What shocked me was that the words inside the book were unreadable. They were in a very ancient language that Zeus could barely read.

A flashback suddenly hit me, and I remembered my mother read this book for me when I was little. That was how I recognized the book cover and the name felt familiar to me.

The book mentioned a very powerful and ancient witch named Roselie, which was hanged in this land by the locals. Before she was hanged, she cursed this land for eternity, and no one can lift the curse other than a witch from her bloodline.

The locals lived for years unable to go out and eventually died as they grew older, and diseases spread amongst them.

The book also mentioned an object that belonged to Roselie, a compass, hidden somewhere in this land.

This made me think that it could be used to break the spell, but I was no witch. But this school was full of them.

I hid the book under the mattress, not trusting anyone who might enter the room without me being there. I shouldn't trust anyone, especially now that everyone knew I was a demon.

The next day, I arrived at my class. Potions.

I hated doing those because these weren't my specialty. I wasn't a witch, and I didn't need to know about them.

I zoned out as the teacher lectured. The only thing I could think of was the book and my mother's message.

What scared me the most was that she might be alive and maybe in this school somewhere.

What scared me even more was that if that was true, then my father would have lied to me, to us.

When the class ended, I walked out and into the hallway. I saw Ares and his group, and once they saw me, they gave me the side eye.

I knew I needed help, but I would die before I asked for it.

I am Hades' daughter; I don't ask for help. But now I felt that I was Zeus' play toy.

Speaking of Zeus, he was my idol until he crushed my heart when he didn't allow me to go to Olympus because I was a demon. Hades on the other hand, was elated when he learned that I no longer idolized his brother. Either he was jealous of Zeus, or he didn't want his daughter to idolize someone who wasn't himself.

Selfish bastard.

As I passed by the group, a narrow knife stabbed my stomach, making everyone in the hallway gasp, including Ares and his friends.

I looked at the perpetrator, only to see a blond-haired witch standing in front of me, as her hand stills in the air.

She had a smirk on, might I add, but it was quickly gone when she saw me taking the knife out and throwing it her way, thrusting it into her arm.

Blood streamed down her arm as she bled.

I had no blood or pain whatsoever. She was stupid to think she could hurt me.

I was immortal, minus Zeus threatening to kill me because he could.

"Anyone dares do something as stupid as this, I will not hesitate to send you to hell!" I yelled through the hallway, some people cowered, and some walked away.

Ares suddenly took my arm and walked me away. I am going to be honest, he completely shocked me with his action, especially after how he yelled at me.

"Leave my arm!" I screamed.

Once he did, I glared at him and demanded he tell me why he did that.

"You can't just hurt people and act as if nothing happened!" He yelled.

"Huh, she started it!"

"Yeah, but you are immortal, she isn't. Besides, we don't need more people to die than they already are!"

"I knew where I hit her, it isn't going to kill her. Don't be such a baby."

"You know, you are intolerable!" He said.

"Likewise!"

We both were breathing heavily.

I noticed at that moment that we were like fire and water. The best combination. I think. We are both passionate about something, even if it was different things. We like to challenge one another and never accept defeat.

"Ares."

"What?!" He snapped.

"I have a proposition."

He looked confused as if saying "what the hell do you want," but didn't say anything.

"I need your help to find an object, and in return, I will help you and everyone get out of here."

I was very serious, like very, but he only laughed. Like really laughed.

"What's so funny?"

He took a deep breath, trying so hard not to laugh, when he said, "You, you want to break the curse that no one knows about? I know that Zeus basically ordered you to do it, but I didn't think you'd go for it."

"I hate to break it to you, but I know a lot about the curse. Besides, I am your best bet. I am a demon, a royal one, might I add. Not to mention that I am very good at what I do."

"Are all demons self-centered?"

"Mhm, not really, only me, I guess." I replied with a shrug, making him smile.

"Fine, truce. I will help you, but I need you to promise me that no one gets hurt from now on."

"Fine." I rolled my eyes. "But I don't promise you not to send them to hell for a few hours."

"Can they even go to hell?"

"Of course." I lied.

They can't even touch the front gate.