Chapter 26: Planting the Seeds

"Good morning, Kiyotaka-senpai!"

Even though his back was facing her from where he was, Kiyotaka acknowledged his roommate's greeting with a nod as he kept his focus on the stove and the omelet that he was cooking. This time around, he was the first to wake up, because today is like no other.

"Good morning, Ichika."

The luxury vacation that was promised for this year's freshmen was today, so there's no time to waste. This was something that he had been looking forward to ever since it was announced over a month ago, which meant that it's definitely worth waking up earlier than usual today.

"Ohhhh, I see that you're already preparing breakfast, senpai. You woke up earlier than me this time~" With those words, Ichika arranged their bed neatly before finally getting up. She didn't want to leave the place she's called home for over a month now in an unpresentable state, after all.

"A day like this warrants a lot more effort from me than usual. I'd be a fool to not take this seriously," he replied.

"Hmm... you're saying that, but you don't seem too excited to go on the trip, Kiyotaka-senpai..." she commented while walking up to him, getting a good look at the expression on his face.

"When have I ever looked excited? Ask yourself that," Kiyotaka retorted calmly, making Ichika shrug. "As a matter of fact, I'm actually looking forward to it. The only mishap I have is that you'll be coming along too."

"Well, I was left under your care, senpai. And I was given the task to keep an eye on you. I can't do that if I'm here, can I?"

Kiyotaka sighed to himself. After she had learned about the island trip that's intended for the freshmen, Ichika immediately made it clear that she wanted to come along as well. His immediate answer would have been no, but he didn't voice that out lest he suffer the possible consequences.

Ignoring his personal feelings on the matter, Kiyotaka had no idea if his roommate was even allowed to come along on the trip at first. The obvious answer would have been that she wasn't, because the promised vacation was for students and as far as everyone knew, Ichika wasn't one.

When he consulted the chairman about it a few days ago, the reply he received was something he had expected, but felt disappointed with nonetheless.

Ichika was allowed to participate, as long as he watches over her because she's supposed to be his responsibility.

In other words, his eroge superpower wants her to come along with him and everyone else on this vacation.

Yeah, it was already obvious; any kind of event that makes little to no sense at all can be linked back to the system that can change reality at a moment's glance.

Regardless of what he felt, Kiyotaka knew that he had to accept his fate either way.

"Is that supposed to make me feel better? Because it didn't," he remarked. "I'm already dreading the amount of headaches that I'll be having for the whole trip because of your presence alone."

"Come on, do you really think it'll be that bad if I'm around?" Ichika walked up to him and began poking his shoulder. "Tell you what, senpai. Maybe we can have some fun every night to relieve you of that stress~"

"Your jokes and attempts in getting a reaction out of me are exactly what'll give me headaches."

She continued to send him a sly look. "Whoever said that I'm joking, senpai? We can really do it if you want~"

Kiyotaka shook his head. "I hope the chairman was at least kind enough to put us in different quarters, so I can feel what it was like to sleep alone again. Clearly, I took that privilege for granted."