Chapter 31: Betrayed

"Saminia, I swear I had no idea that you were the one that my brother was engaged to! Or else I would have mentioned him-," I stop Ayesha before she can apologize any more.

"I already told you Ayesha, it's alright. I was just shocked that it was you, and not some cranky, woman," I place my hand atop hers, "There's no need to apologize."

She gives me a warm smile and nods, then tilts her head, "You haven't been in touch with us lately. Why's that?"

Oh... whoops. Ayesha was one of my crew members from when I was 'working'. I trusted her with everything. So far I've been AWOL because you know, I kinda got kidnapped. But she doesn't know that.

I grimace, "Right... about that."

Her face scrunches in confusion and I contemplate not telling her. "You can tell me Samina, you can trust me."

"It's not that I don't trust you-," Azim just told me not to tell anyone about what happened yet. But I trust her with my life. I always have. Well- here goes nothing. "I was kidnapped."

A pregnant silence follows as Ayesha's mouth drops to the floor. "You were WHAT?"

"Shhh! Not so loud, I'm not supposed to tell you!"

She looks around then whispers again, "You were kidnapped?! Samina how?"

I sigh, might as well tell her the story sooner than later.

~𑁍~

Thirty minutes and two cups of tea later I've explained the story to a wide eyed Ayesha. When I'm finished, she places her hand atop mine and looks at me in the eyes with utmost sincerity, "Do you need a therapist?"

That caught me so off guard, "What?! No!" I give her an incredulous look, "I can assure you that I am completely fine, besides the occasional nightmare, scars and bruising- I am doing completely fine."

She raises an eyebrow, "Don't sound fine to me."

"I'm trying okay?" I huff.

"Look," she sighs, "I'm just concerned, especially with what happened with Katia, you were already betrayed, I just don't want to see you getting hurt again." The sincerity in her tone makes me smile.

Wait- did she just say-, "Hold up." I lift my head up and put a hand in the air, "Betrayed?! Ayesha, I was never betrayed? What are you talking about."

Her eyes widen again, and she takes my face in her hands, "Are you sure you're okay? Did you develop amnesia while you were knocked out?"

I pull out of her hold, "No! I told you I'm fine. Ayesha, What. Are. You. Talking. About?" I pin her with a stare.

"You seriously don't know?"

"No! All I know is that Katia potentially got kidnapped!"

She pauses and tilts her head quizzically, "Yeah Samina. By you."

My heart stops.