Chapter 32: "Tell me"

"What?" The world is spinning.

"She betrayed you Samina, and you imprisoned her."

"No? Ayesha, what is this nonsense?" My head pounds.

I shut my eyes for a minute and hold a hand to stop Ayesha from saying any more, for just a second. When I open them I take a deep breath, "Start from the beginning."

She looks at me, concern in her eyes, "From what Ali told me, Katia left Saudi and the plane she was in got hijacked. By her. She killed her crew and was injured in the process," every word that comes out of Ayesha's mouth makes my blood boil, "When she realized how badly she had gotten hurt, she had to land the plane immediately. Turns out, she landed on one of my brother's bases and began attacking his crew. They told her to surrender but she fought back. Knowing who they were." She takes a big breath and looks me in my eyes, "She confessed Samina. It took time but she confessed. That's when you imprisoned her."

"No! NO! She didn't do any of that! I didn't do any of that! There's no way!" She wouldn't... right? Why hasn't Azim said anything? Why am I being blamed? She places a hand on my back and I shove it off, "Get off!"

Ayesha backs away and looks at me with despair, "I'm sorry Samina. I wish it wasn't true."

I whip my head towards her, "It's not true. There's no way. Azim would have told me!"

Her eyes soften, "So why didn't he?"

I scoff and wave my hand towards the exit, "Please, Ayesha, leave." I know she means well, but I can't take it anymore. It was all so sudden. Ayesha would never lie to me. So trying to not believe her is the hardest thing to do right now.

She confessed? When? Why, why, why didn't Azim tell me anything? Why am I being blamed for her imprisonment?

I have so many questions- and I'll bet my dear husband has all the answers.

~𑁍~

The door slams as I walk out of our guest room and into the lobby where Ayesha is frantically whispering to Ali. My husband stands to the side with his arms crossed and leg propped against the wall. Oh he's about to get it.

Shock spreads over his face as he realizes the look in my eyes as I march towards him. "What's wrong Samina?"

"You," I seethe. Once I reach him I attempt to grab hold of his neck, but I barely graze his skin before he grabs my wrist and yanks it to the side. I let out a frustrated groan and try again with my other hand. Right now? I would love to choke him to death.

Yet again he grabs my wrist and stops me from harming him. I thrash against his grip, but he holds steady. "What is this about? Calm down Ruhi." He tries to calm me down, but my blood is boiling.

Before I can kick him, he flips me around and twists my arms so they're pinned against my chest. He slides onto to the floor with me in his arms, to prevent me from kicking him.

"Leave," He demands to Ali and Ayesha. Now, the room is empty. Just him and me.

I thrash in his arms and yell, "You filthy liar! What kind of husband lies to his wife! You soulless, mindless, horrible man!" I continue to shout insults until my throat goes raw. Azim holds me against him through all of it. Never loosing his grip.

For minutes or hours, I go on like this, in a rage of anger, I can't recall. My hair begins to fall loose over my face and the cool fabric of my hijab lies against my arms. I suck deep breaths in and out. Slowly matching the calmness of my husband. I can feel his thumbs rubbing circles against my skin, despite him holding my arms in a twisted position against my chest.

His warm breath tickles the nape of my neck and his deep voice rumbles through my back, "Are you ready to talk now, ya Ruhi? In a calm and civilized manner?"

His voice angers me. But I grunt in agreement. Slowly he lets go of my arms and places them at my side. We are still on the floor. My back pressed against his chest. His legs crossed around my torso. He uncrossed those too.

My ribs throb and I take slow, deep breaths in and out. The pain slowly ebbs away. Azim turns me around to face him. Tears pool in my eyes as a lucky forms in my throat. "You... lied to me."

"No. I just didn't tell you the complete truth."

"So tell me," I cry, "Tell me now."

He takes my face in his rough palms. "I didn't tell you because you were healing Ruhi. The news would've hurt you more than the wounds you already held."

I punch his stupidly hard chest, "You don't get to choose that for me!"

"I only did it for your health ya Ruhi."

"So tell me now! What actually happened to her? What did she do to get imprisoned?" I plead for him to just say the truth.

He sighs and pulls me closer. "What did you hear Habibti?"

I shake my head and look away, "It doesn't matter what I heard. What matters is the truth, Azim. What happened?" I turn my head towards him again and plead, "Please tell me. Tell me the truth."

And so he tells me.