Eleven

Steve leaned against the corner of the wall, sunglasses on, as he waited for Nancy to get back to her locker. He spotted her walking down the hall with Jonathan, and luckily she was talking to him so she didn't notice Steve. As she walked up to her locker, still chatting with Jonathan, Steve waited until she was distracted with opening her locker before he came up behind her and scooped her up.

She shrieked as he picked her up off the ground and he burst out laughing. When he set her down she whipped around and hit him on the shoulder.

"Oh my god!" She saw the sunglasses he was wearing. "Take those stupid things off." She smiled.

"I missed you," he said with a smile as he took off the sunglasses. 'She is truly so beautiful OH MY GOD!!'

"It's been like an hour,"

"Tell me about it." Then he placed his hand on her neck and kissed her.

"Okay. Okay, okay. God," Nancy pushed him away, but she was smiling brightly. She tucked her hair behind her ear and started placing her things in her locker. She seemed a little embarrassed.

"Sorry," He breathed. He didn't want to push her, and he didn't think he did, but whatever. He continued watching her while she put her things away. She was always so beautiful.

~ ~ ~

Steve and Nancy walked down the sidewalk together later that night. They were going to have dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Holland, and they couldn't help but notice the 'For Sale' sign in their front yard.

"Okay," Steve sighed once they made it to the door. "Ready?"

"Yeah," Nancy replied a little nervously.

"Okay," Steve took a breath before ringing the doorbell.

Mrs. Holland answered the door and smiled brightly at them, "Hello, come on in."

They did, and Mrs. Holland closed the door and led them to the dining room, where some KFC was sitting waiting for them.

Once they all sat down, with the addition Mr. Holland, conversation started.

"I'm so sorry I didn't get to cook," Mrs. Holland said. "I was gonna make that baked ziti you guys like so much, but I just forgot about the time, and before you know it, 'Oh my god, it's five o'clock.'" She chuckled.

"It's fine," Nancy smiled. "It's great."

"Yeah," Steve nodded. "I love KFC." He honestly didn't care what they ate. He was fine with anything.

Mrs. Holland smiled at them and took a sip of her coke.

"So, I noticed a 'For Sale' sign out in your yard," Nancy said. "Is... is that the neighbors', or..."

Mr. and Mrs. Holland looked at each other. "You wanna tell them?" Marsha asked, and Mr. Holland replied, "Go ahead."

Marsha took a breath, "We hired a man named Murray Bauman. Have either of you heard of him?"

Nancy shook her head and Steve said slowly, "No, I don't think so." 'Murray Bauman...? Doesn't ring any bells...'

"He was an investigative journalist for the Chicago Sun-Times," Marsha smiled.

"He's pretty well known," Mr. Holland chimed in, handing Steve Murray's business card.

Steve looked at it. This Murray guy seemed legit, this business card certainly was. But, that wasn't a guarantee that someone wasn't going to rip you off.

"Anyway, he's a freelancer now, and he's agreed to take the case," Marsha said happily.

"Oh, that's... that's great," Steve said, trying his best to sound happy for them. "No, that's really... that's great right?" He showed the business card to Nancy, trying to gauge what she thought of the situation.

"Um..." Nancy mumbled. "What exactly does that mean?"

"Means he's gonna do what that lazy son of a bitch Jim Hop–" Mr. Holland was cut off by Marsha gently touching his shoulder. "Sorry." He took a deep breath. "What the Hawkins police haven't been capable of doing. Means we have a real detective on the case."

"It means," Marsha said hopefully. "We're going to find our Barb."

"If anyone can find her, it's this man."

Marsha nodded at her husband.

"He already has leads. By god, he's worth every last penny."

Steve looked over at Nancy who was looking worried. This was seeming to good to be true. Steve looked back down at the business card. The more he looked at it, the more suspicious it seemed. Maybe he was looking to far into this... What did he know?

"Is that why you're selling the house?" Nancy asked slowly.

"Don't worry about us, sweetie. We're fine." Marsha reassured her. "More than fine. For the first time in a long time, we're hopeful." She smiled.

Nancy looked down at her plate and tried to muster a smile, but Steve knew this whole situation was hard for her.

"Uh, excuse me. I'll be right back," Nancy muttered, getting up and going off to the bathroom.

Steve watched her leave and took a bite of chicken in the uncomfortable silence. Now what? I don't know what to talk about with them...' He thought he'd lighten the mood a bit so he said, "It's finger lickin' good."

"Mmm," Mr. Holland smiled in agreement.

Nancy returned a couple minutes later, smiling and continuing the conversation. While they talked, Steve watched her. She defiently looked okay, but he knew deep down that she didn't feel okay. As the dinner continued, he held her hand underneath the table, trying not to alert Mr. and Mrs. Holland of anything suspicious.