Seventeen

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked Dustin as they walked down the abandoned train tracks. They going in the direction the Demogorgons had gone, following them.

"Yes. He had the exact same yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin persisted. He seemed positive that the Demogorgon was indeed Dart.

"He was tiny two days ago," Max said skeptically.

"Well, he's molted three times already."

"Malted?" Steve asked with confusion.

'I should not be the one walking with these kids. It should be Jonathan, or someone who actually knows what they're talking about.'

"Molted," Dustin corrected. "Shed his skin to make room for new growth like hornworms?"

Steve blinked. 'Oh. Okay then. Like a snake or something.'

"Well, when's he gonna molt again?" Max asked.

"It's gotta be soon," Dustin replied. "When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. And so will his friends."

"Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve pointed out. 'Like people.'

"Wait, a cat?" Lucas asked. "Dart ate a cat?"

"No, what? No." Dustin shook his head.

Steve frowned and they all stopped walking. "What are you talking about? He ate Mews," he said. 'Had Dustin seriously forgotten or was he playing dumb?'

"Mews?" Max turned to Steve. "Who's Mews?"

"It's Dustin's cat," he replied casually.

"Steve!" Dustin tried to shut him up.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas hit Dustin on the shoulder.

'So no one knew that Dustin had kept the Demogorgon?! Jesus...'

"No!" Dustin said quickly. "No. No, I... No, I... He missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit!"

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" Dustin shouted.

"Oh, so now you admit it?" Lucas asked saltily.

"Guys, who cares? We have to go," Max said. Steve agreed with her. They needed to hurry up and figure out where the monsters went.

"I care!" Lucas shouted. "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!"

"So did you!" Dustin yelled.

Lucas blinked. "What?"

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin pointed his flashlight at Max.

"A stranger?" Max scoffed.

"You wanted to tell her, too!" Lucas yelled.

"Yeah but I didn't, Lucas, okay?" Dustin yelled. "I didn't tell her!"

Steve turned his head as he heard screeching in the distance. It was nearly drowned out by the useless agruing. They needed to hurry up before the Demogorgons molted again. 'Or whatever they did to grow...'

"We both broke the rule of law, okay? So we're even. We're even." Dustin said angrily.

Steve shined his flashlight into the woods and slowly walked towards the sound. It was very loud even with the arguing, and he tried to spot where they were going, where the monsters were running. 'These children needed to stop arguing.'

"No, no! We're not even. Don't even try that." Lucas frowned. "Your stupid pet could've ate us for dinner!"

"That was not my fault!" Dustin yelled.