Fifteen

Steve sighed as he began unloading the trunk of his car. It was the next day, and they were getting prepared to find the weird-lizard-thing. Dustin had christened him 'Dart', but that didn't matter right now. It was still the weird-lizard-thing, and what mattered was they needed to find it. They'd gathered up a bunch of raw meat and gasoline- 'Not suspicious at all, right?'- then drove into the forest, planning to lure it back to Dustin's house with the meat.

Lucas Sinclair's voice sounded from Dustin's radio system, "Dustin! This is Lucas. Do you copy? Dustin?"

"Well, well, well, look who it is," Dustin said as Steve continued getting all their 'equipment' out of his trunk. 'Thanks for helping, Dustin, thank you so much. You're such a help.' Steve rolled his eyes as he heaved the meat out of the trunk.

"Sorry, man," Lucas's voice was almost impossible for Steve to hear, but he still managed. "My stupid sister turned it off."

"Well, when you were having sister problems, Dart grew again, he escaped, and I'm pretty sure he's a baby Demogorgon." Dustin's words were going directly over Steve's head. 'What the hell is a Demogorgon?'

"Wait. What?" Lucas's voice asked.

"I'll explain later," Dustin said. "Just meet me and Steve at the old junkyard.

"Steve?"

"And bring your binoculars and wrist rocket," Dustin said into the speaker.

"Steve Harrington?"

"All right," Steve said as he shut the trunk. "Let's go."

"Just be there stat," Dustin said urgently. "Over and out."

Steve led the way as they started walking into the woods and over to the abandoned train tracks. They scattered cubed pieces of raw meat as they went, and no one said anything for a couple of minutes. They simply walked, dropped meat, and repeated. Good thing they had gloves, too. 'Ugh.'

~

"All right, so let me get this straight," Steve began after a long while of walking. Dustin was now leading the way, and had begun talking about how he found Dart. "You kept something you knew was probably dangerous in order to impress a girl who... who you just met?"

"All right, that's grossly oversimplifying things," Dustin said defensively.

"I mean, why would a girl like some nasty slug anyway?" Steve asked. 'Defiently not Nancy, that's for sure.'

"An interdimensional slug?" Dustin corrected. "Because it's awesome."

"Well, even if she thought it was cool, which she didn't, I... I just... I don't know, I just feel like you're trying way too hard." Steve admitted casually.

"Well, not everyone can have your perfect hair, all right?"

"It's not about the hair, man." Steve sighed. "The key with girls is just... just acting like you don't care."

"Even if you do?" Dustin asked.

"Yeah, exactly. It drives them nuts." 

"Then what?"

"You just wait until, uh... until you feel it."

"Feel what?"

"It's like before it's gonna storm, you know?" Steve explained. "You can't see it, but you can feel it, like this, uh... electricity, you know?" 'How am I supposed to explain this? It was just... a feeling. You had to feel it to understand.'

"Oh, like in the electromagnetic field when the clouds in the atmosphere–"

"No, no, no, no, no. Like a... like a sexual electricity." Steve nodded. 'Yeah, yeah. Kids understood that right? Especially middle school kids. I think.'

"Oh." Dustin raised his eyebrows in surprise.

Steve nodded again. "You feel that and then you make your move."

"So that's when you kiss her?" Dustin asked, scattering some more meat on the tracks.

"No, whoa, whoa. Slow down, Romeo."

"Sorry," Dustin muttered.

"Okay, sure, some girls, yeah, they want you to be aggressive. You know, strong, hot and heavy, like a... I don't know, like a lion."

"Mmm,"

"But others, you gotta be slow, you gotta be stealthy, like a... like a ninja," Steve explained, feeling strangely proud while explaining it. 'Like a ninja. Yup.'

"What type is Nancy?"

"Nancy's different," Steve replied. "She's different than the other girls."

"Yeah, she seems pretty special, I guess."

"Yeah. Yeah, she is." Steve nodded. 'Nobody even understood how special Nancy was. Nobody could understand except me. And maybe her mom. But, mostly me.'

"But," Dustin continued. "This girl's special, too, you know. It's just, like, something about her."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Hey, hey, hey."

"What?"

"You're not fallin' in love with this girl, are you?" Steve asked, eyes narrowing.

"Uh, no. No." Dustin shook his head.

"Okay, good. Don't."

"I won't."

"She's only gonna break your heart and you're way too young for that shit." 'Yes, sometimes that didn't happen, but if you're dealing with middle school dating, it was pretty much guaranteed.'

They went quiet, and Steve looked over at Dustin who was staring at the ground as they walked. He thought he might as well give him a more lighthearted tip. 'Why would you tell him that, idiot? He's twelve.'

"Fabergé," he said.

"What?"

He pointed to his hair, "It's Fabergé Organics. Use the shampoo and conditioner, and when your hair's damp... it's not wet, okay? When it's damp..." This was very important, it needed to be damp.

"Damp," Dustin repeated.

"You do four puffs of the Farrah Fawcett spray."

"Farrah Fawcett spray?" Dustin asked, sounding like he was trying to hold back a laugh.

"Yeah, Farrah Fawcett spray." Steve turned to him, serious now. "You tell anyone I just told you that and your ass is grass. You're dead, Henderson. Do you understand?"

"Yup," Dustin nodded, a little afraid.

Steve sighed, "Okay," and continued on walking, still scattering the meat.

"Farrah Fawcett, really?" Dustin asked, sounding more curious instead of mocking.

"I mean, she's hot," Steve replied, shrugging.

"Yeah." Dustin nodded.

They continued walking in silence.

'Maybe Henderson isn't that bad. As long as he keeps his mouth shut. Maybe he was a little bit of a smart-ass, but that didn't really matter. As least he knew how to find Dart. Why am I even helping? No idea...'