Chapter 19

December 19th.

"Are you sure you want me to tag along?" I ask.

Shane rests his hand on my knee.

"Why wouldn't I want you to?"

"He's your brother. I mean it's sort of a guy thing right?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"You being there isn't going to stop that. If anything, you should be asking yourself if you wanna go." He chuckles, looking over at me.

It's weird. Everything is weird. Five months ago, I wouldn't even dare think of dating.

I mean sure, the dating ideal still scares me, but I know I'll be fine.

"So... I know I was planning to go sledding tomorrow, but I was thinking... maybe after-"

He scratches the back of his neck and I smile.

"We could go to lunch. Or something. Get coffee or hot chocolate or- you know whatever you want to do. If- if you're free. I mean I know-" "Shane?" I smile.

"Yeah?" He clears his throat.

"I'd love to."

Shane reaches over and holds my hand.

"Speaking of dates, there's also support group tomorrow night."

I shift in my seat.

"Do you want me to come with you?" I ask cautiously. Our last experience at the support group wasn't the best.

"Uh, I mean you don't have to. I know it's kind of uncomfortable."

"If you want me there I'll go." I say as he pulls into the hospital parking lot.

"Okay." He nods. I unbuckle my seatbelt and reach for the door handle.

"Wait-!" He jumps out and rushes over to my side. He quickly opens my door and offers a hand out.

"Who said chivalry ever died?" I'm impressed. I rise, taking his hand and pecking his cheek.

"Does us dating indicate that I can't be a dick anymore?" He chuckles.

"No. I'm perfectly content with my usually level of bitchiness with or without you opening my doors."

He wraps an arm around my shoulders.

"Wonderful."

***

Walking up to Caleb's room, we stop in front of a nurse that's writing in Caleb's file.

"How is he?" Shane asks.

When the nurse hesitates and lays eyes on me, I know it isn't good.

"You can speak in front of her." Shane says horsely.

My breath catches in my throat and I squeeze Shane's hand.

"He's not good. He's getting pretty weak at this point. Kind of out of it." She explains.

Shane doesn't talk for a long time.

"We'll go over the details when your father comes later tonight." She explains.

"Is there a time limit?" He asks.

I think I'm gonna be sick.

The nurse hesitates. "Maybe a year if you're lucky."

Shane doesn't say anything; he storms past her and into Caleb's room.

I grip my hair in my hands. This wasn't how things were supposed to go.