Chapter 1

August 7th.

I turn into the one hundredth twenty seventh page of Beastly. I've read it before, but staying home has caused me to reread anything in my grab to avoid the real world.

"Didn't you read that last week?" My father asks.

"No. That was Evermore." I close the book and look up.

"Look, Bridgit, if you're going to read your entire library again at least keep the series in order." He sighs. The fact he knows that this is a different book than what should've been Blue Moon, warms my heart.

"So you're saying to dumb it down?" I hop off the counter I'm sitting on. "I'm saying to distract yourself. At this rate there's not even going to be enough books in the world for you. You're going to have to start writing your own." He smiles, kissing my forehead.

"I'm working on it." I exhale softly.

My writing, nothing but fantasies in my mind from the night before. The nightmares. The ones where I sob myself awake from the heartache of Stephan.

Pathetic. Yet honest.

"I see you finally unpacked that last box." Dad motions to the empty moving box sitting beside the trashcan.

"Yeah I figured if two months and no beam of light in the window of moving has shown through, I should unpack fully."

My parents and I had moved here two months ago. To a small town that no one can even remember the name of. Not even me.

All I know is I had to leave my friends behind and Stephan, the boy who I was desperately in love with.

"Will you take your mother lunch?" Dad places a bag in front of me.

I look up in a frown. "I have a video-chat meeting with some buyers in Fort. Smith. Can't miss it sweetie." He places the car keys in my hand.

"Fine. I'll be a while. Want to check out the hospital's book collection."

He nods and watches me go.

*

"Delivery." I smile as I set the bag of dinner at my mother's desk.

"Aren't you an angel. Have you even been out of the house this long since we left?"

I frown.

This causes my mother's smile to fade. "Sorry honey."

"It's okay. Everyone's forgotten me back home." I nod.

I've accepted it. A little after I left I stopped receiving phone calls and text messages. No one bothered to keep in contact, no matter how much I tried. My best friend eventually stopped talking to me too.

I don't know what happened to all these so-called 'friends' I had, but they've vanished.

"No one could forget you." She pats my head.

"Thank you for dinner." "No problem. I'm gonna go check out the gift shop." I wave before walking down the hallway towards the elevators. I could use a few new books.

I press the down button and wait next to a guy holding an IV stand, wearing a breathing mask. He's bald, wearing a hat. Must be a cancer patient, seeing he's so young.

That's another reason why I never bring mom dinner. I couldn't stand hospitals. The sick people, the tears, I couldn't do it.

The man goes first into the elevator when it arrives.

"Which floor?" He asks. "Um floor one has the bookstore right?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "That's what you would think right? Nope. It's on the third floor. My brother scavenged the whole building."