48. Leavers Assembly

Today was our leaver's assembly- a silly gathering where our teachers practically spill their guts out to us and bid us farewell. They say bye to us and lie about how they'd miss us but in reality, they'd just replace us by the new classes. Our headteacher and year leader give out a bunch of silly awards too and since i've been hearing whispers about me being one of the nominees for the awards, i've kept my ears perked up.

Liam told me of his leaver's assembly and about how he won the award for 'Most Likely to Appear on Jeremy Kyle.' So, it was funny but I sure do hope I don't end up winning an embarrassing award.

So, as my year group all settled down in the dreary school hall and the teacher's made speeches, I tried to keep my eyes open, It was extremely difficult considering there were eight classes and that means eight different tutors making a long speech about their class whom they've known for five years now. In addition to that, we had our headteacher making a long speech and reminiscing even though he hadn't been our headteacher the entire time and then there was our year leader basically repeating whatever the headteacher had said.

I concentrated during my tutor's speech and Jace and Ben's tutor's speech. My tutor just said a small sentence about everyone in the class and told me to 'keep with my great performance in basketball' and then Jace and Ben's tutor just when on and on about her star pupils. He commented on Jace's 98% attendance this year and A grade work and also wished the two good luck for their performance at prom tonight.

So there wasn't much, but it was obviously evident which of her pupils were her favourite.

"You know there's an award for best couple." Jace grinned at me as he turned to his side and squeezed my hand. "I'd steal the trophy if I had to."

I snickered, and caught a few eyes too.

"On with the Kingston Awards!" Our headteacher yelled and a series of hollers and cheers erupted around the room. "The first award we have is... Most likely to become Prime Minister. The nominees are: Kieran Duncan, Georgina Middleson and Jeremy Clark."

"...and the award goes to Georgia Middleson! Congrats! Come up here and collect your award!" Georgina squealed and ran up to the stage to collect her mini trophy that had the school's logo on it and held it high up in the air before she went and sat back down in her seat.

"Next award: Drama Queen. The nominations are.... Brooke West, Marcia Newman and Sarah Raymond." The headteacher paused for a few moments and then grinned. "The winner is Marcia!"

Just like Georgina, she got up on stage and collected her trophy and shook hands with the headmaster. She stood up straight and looked to everyone in the audience. Before she could even utter a word, the headteacher stopped her. "No speeches, Marcia." He gently pushed her towards the steps and she quietly stepped down, a little red in the face.

"Next.. You guess it... Drama King. Nominees are as follows: Dion Mendes, Felix Jefferson and Kyle Morrison."

Upon hearing Kyle's name, I hit him hard on the shoulder and he winced a little. He was sat next to Jace and I. In fact, all of the Torvux members that were in my year group were all sat on the same row as me, including Flynn. Marcia was sat next to him, grinning at her trophy and admiring it in awe.

"The award goes to... Kyle! Congrats, don't take it personally!" Kyle ran past me, knocked my legs to the side, stumbled up the steps of the stage and ripped the trophy from the headmaster's hand. I had to stifle a laugh, he was definitely way too happy to receive an award. A bunch of people hollered and cheered as he did a happy dance on stage.

"Alright, calm down boy." He patted his shoulder to stop him dancing and gave a gentle nudge towards the steps.

A bunch of other awards I didn't really care about were handed out, such as 'star athlete' in which out headteacher seemed way too happy to award the guy and girl who led our school team to victory, 'most likely to marry themselves', which Ben actually won. Of course he'd win, he hates people and loves himself more than any normal person would.