Ch.10

Melodi's P.O.V.

I frowned and shifted from foot to foot. It was currently twelve-seventeen A.M., I was here watching Ethan as he walked around the backyard to make sure every one was a safe distance away from me. Caleb looked over to me and I showed no emotion other than fear, he was here with Veronica and I assumed they were accepted as mates. We are going to try to get me to shift. Ethan said he was going to give me energy and my friends and family being there would bring comfort, but it just made me feel even more scared. Gabriella and Jace stayed home due to my request. Paris was on the FaceTime with Heather when I told them to hang up and enjoy their time together.

When it was time, I froze and felt the little warmth I gathered from Ethan's jacket leave me. He met my widened gaze and asked "are you ready." To which I replied with a shake of my head. He walked up to me and rubbed my shoulders, whispering to me to take a deep breath. My heart was beating faster than a vampire yet slower than a humans. All in all it was pounding at an irregular pace making my nerves worsen. Ethan sensed this and kissed my forhead mumbling a "I will be right here, just like last time." I nodded my head and kept eye contact as he backed away.

He gave me a small nod and I felt his energy slip to me. I could feel him giving the strength I couldn't gather on my own. I took deep breaths like he ordered and closed my eyes. I felt my bones crack and I fell. "Don't fight it M." He said to me. I ignored the tears and the pain and focused on who I was. A Hybrid. The pain worsened and I felt more bones break, I cried out as fangs fought their way to elongate. I gripped the ground as I felt Ethan give me more energy.

I screamed as I felt another bone crack, no. No. No. Something was wrong. And just like that my body stopped shifting and I felt every bone start to mend. It was even worse than then shifting. I arched my back off of the ground as I screamed. Ethan's energy hit me harder as my bones shifted and broke once more. I heard screaming and heard Ethan run towards me. I felt the dirt slip into my fingernails, my insides cramped and I heard my name being called once again.

My body was going into danger mode. Just as its done before. I banged my hand against the ground as I screamed. "MAKE IT STOP." Yet is came out in a different tone. My vision blurred and I felt my ankles break. I felt my body pause and start to fight Ethan's energy. I was shifting back again. I moaned and groaned. Crying and screaming as my body started to shut down slightly.

"ETHAN STOP." Caleb yelled. I heard running but something stopped its pace. I rolled onto all fours and clutched my stomach as I felt something shift back into place. "ITS NOT ME! MELODI YOU HAVE TO STOP." I screamed louder and cried harder as my body made motion. When it was done and my body was human, I spat up blood and went limp to the ground.

Ethan ran to me and clutched my sweating body. "What was that Ethan?" Caleb questioned harshly. I leaned into Ethan's chest. "Her body thought something was wrong and started fighting me. It's going into defense mode and shifting her back." Caleb cursed and Ethan rocked my silently as I cried.

Something's wrong.

I'll never shift again.

~

I was in Ethan's room. He was laying beside me, holding me tightly. "Ethan... I think-" he cut me off with a crisp 'no' I sighed and moved away from his grip. A wave of dizziness hit me as I stood and looked his way. "Can we go for a run?" He sat up and slipped off of the bed, spongebob falling to the floor.  "It helps me heal when I do." This wasn't a lie. I learned this when I tried shifting for the first time after the accident. It didn't help a lot, but it did ease my thoughts of not being able to shift possibly never. He nodded and stood, walking over to the corner of his room where the sneakers were placed. Handing me my black and white shoes I put them on and followed Ethan out side.