It's A Kidnapping! Or Is It? CHAPTER SIX

After my grandmother, that Jane insists I refer to as Gram, leaves the sun room she doesn't return to catch up more. So I sit in silence with Jane for what feels like an eternity. My lips are glued shut but my mind refuses to keep quiet. There are so many new thoughts that worry me and I have suspicions that I'm upsetting my family. But how am I supposed to act when I don't know how to even be myself? Having a family is so new to me, just as much as all of the unbelievable things they told me about.

For the rest of the day I see no sight of Gram who must be avoiding me at all costs and hear little from Jane who only assures Gram will come around eventually. Since that first moment in the sun room I have been uneasy, even though Jane has made me some food and I am sitting at the kitchen table for a late lunch.

Instead of talking to my sister I take a gaze out the large glass doors at the end of the table. They lead to the deck and expose the most beautiful view of rolling hills I have ever seen. Looking at it this morning from the sidewalk doesn't compare to now where I can see even more than before.

The first thing that catches my eye is the little buildings way off in the distance that stand in the valley. It is so far away that if there were any cars driving through its streets I wouldn't be able to see them. On the right is a hill that has small clearings where there are houses that are only a bit closer than the little city below.

Everything else is covered in different shades of green trees. The ones closest to me are fluffy pines that shine in the sun and sway slightly in the breeze. The farthest hills have a blue hue to them that almost match the baby blue sky. The deck must be the perfect place to sit when you need to be alone and sit absorbing up the atmosphere.

"Ellie..." Jane snaps me out of my daze, "Our Papa is on his way home from work, he doesn't know you are here."

I blink down at the dark green and white checkered tablecloth and nod my head. Sitting diagonally from me Jane's back is facing the double windows that are wide open, blowing the lace curtains up. Jane smiles at me, showing a tiny dimple below the right corner of her lip, "I don't know how he will react when he sees that you're alive."

I nod and blink around the L shaped kitchen, realizing I never had the chance to take it in. The roomy table is surrounded on each side with something different. From my perspective the white china cabinet is to my left, it has an opening in the middle and a green countertop. Next to it is two French doors that lead out into a large livingroom. Theres a small table in the corner with decorative tea cups on it.

To my right is Jane and the windows that overlook a patio connected to the deck. Behind me is the rest of the kitchen where there's a white countertop connected to the stove and counters along the rest of the room. The fridge is over by the doorway that goes into the hallway where we first entered through.

Jane suddenly announces, "Gram and I have decided we're gonna leave for Elyria right when we get up tomorrow morning..." Instantly my stomach jumps. "...Gram tried to insist it be tonight but I convinced her it would be too early for you."

I want to decline and tell her tomorrow is way too early for me but my voice box is suddenly broken so I just finish my food and sit absorbing up the atmosphere of this beautiful kitchen. I can't help but stare out the glass doors to the deck across from me to see the full view of the yard and rolling hills outside. It goes on forever, making me feel just as free as ever.

Maybe leaving tomorrow won't be too bad for me. It will make me feel safer from those men that kept me captive forever. Though going to another dimension will be utterly terrifying. Thinking about going to another planet sounds like only a dream, being there will be even more surreal.

My ears pick up on something rolling against pavement, which I assume would be the very same vehicle that my grandfather is arriving in, but still I stand quickly and almost knock over my cup of tea that Jane made for me. She gives me an almost frightened look, "What is the matter?"