Rip Out My Tongue. CHAPTER EIGHT

I slouch uncomfortably in the ripped seat of the man's vehicle. My breathing is heavy and I can't contain the pain I'm in. My whole body is spinning, ribs hurting, and bruised shoulder feeling out of place. Even though my head is low and I'm making sure to avoid any eye contact, I still feel the man's stare. The locks clicked the second the doors shut, and now that he's begun driving I'm completly out of control.

I blink out the window with tears in my eyes hoping he won't see them when they start running down my face. They're warm against my cold cheeks, making me shiver uncontrollably. The atmosphere is deathly silent, causing my ears to hear every single log, leaf, and stone getting crushed by the vehicle's thick tires even as the rain comes down in sheets.

My eyes search for Koda, almost believing that he'll be chasing the car that just got in motion which can't pick up speed yet. It's almost pitch black outside, even worse than before. The only light I get is from the glare of the dim headlights at the front of the car.

The more I hunt for him, the more I confuse a tree or a bush as Koda, hoping to catch a glimpse of him to know he's there. When I determine he is really gone I'm utterly stunned. Heartbroken. Angry. Abandoned. My mind doesn't want to decide what emotion I'm feeling and I can't comprehend that Koda has just left me behind so easily. I start sobbing silently, it was one thing I learned how to do while being alone and afraid of getting beaten.

This isn't fair. Nothing ever is.

Koda was right there with me just minutes ago, the memory is so clear I can relive the adrenaline of escape. The coldness of the rain against my tired skin, my hair sticking to my face and his presence next to me. His heartbeat was quick but promising, and his breath was short like breathing was less important than escaping the man who he calls a Hunter.

The faster he drives the more mud begins splattering on the windows and the more his air conditioning decreases its temperature. It's extremely cold, especially since I'm soaked through my clothing and my feet have puddles in Koda's shoes that I'm wearing. My attention goes down to the sweatshirt clinging to my skin, it still has a hint of his scent. The rest of my body shakes even more than before as I take a stab at cuddling into Koda's sweatshirt a bit more hoping to conserve some heat.

Maybe he left for a good reason, I decide after contemplating with myself for a long amount of time. I was waiting for him to come after the vehicle but as time passes he never comes. Besides, its already too late and the Hunter is driving me away from my freedom.

I should be humble and hoping that my new family is safe but I'm not. I can't deny I want them safe but I won't deny that I'm being selfish too. Koda should be here with me. He shouldn't have left me behind to begin loathing him and wondering if Jane lied making it clear I could trust him.

Maybe it is my fate to just be miserable and die all alone. What if I am a monster and I deserve to be punished, left alone in a cell forever? Nothing ever goes my way and just when I've convinced myself it will, it doesn't. The only thing I can admit about this awful situation is that they really want me for some reason and I'm going to find out why. Whether I live or die in the end I will find out why they want me.

The driver clears his throat startling me out of my head and back into the physical world of me being abducted. He speaks for the first time, "Now, all of my fellow colleagues..." He snickers, "well, they'll be delighted to find you back!" He sounds almost excited.

I can't manage to take a single glance his way but listen to his voice carefully.

"This time we will make sure you are taken better care of, and by that I mean watched every hour of the day. You must know what they plan to do to you when we get back. I bet your punishment will be great to watch."