The Festival: Part Two. CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

With my panic-stricken state, I stare in shock at the stack of flyers the stranger has collected in his hand. The two men in the photo definitely resemble the vampire behind me, but not as strikingly obvious. In my mind I plead to the heavens that this man lets us leave without mentioning the fact that their appearances are similar.

Frozen in time on a thin leaf of paper between my fingertips, the vampires stare back at me as if they could jump out of the page into the real world. Even though their faces are so white they look lively, unlike Perry does now. He's so drained, with dark circles under his eyes, and a thinner face. He wields bruises that are slowly starting to fade, and scratches that possibly could scar.

In the photo, the identical twins don't entirely look like the older man I know. I'm unable to tell the two apart but only someone who's studied one of their faces and memorized it would notice the differences. I'm sure in real life I'd be able to know who is which twin, even though their facial structures are exact.

My curiosity gets the best of me, "How old is this picture?"

"Well, it is a photograph of the twins last known painted portrait, taken at least over a hundred years ago." My eyes go wide in disbelief.

Perry is over one hundred years old?

"I don't know the exact date." As the man chuckles he reveals a set of fangs, unintentionally revealing he's a vampire himself.

Stiffened by his words, I refuse to even take a glimpse at Perry, not wanting to give him away. Other than his rough features from exhaustion, starvation, and battle, he doesn't look a day past twenty! Do they never age? This astonishing reveal and stressful manner hinders me from knowing how to form words.

"There is a reward for people who find the twins."

I see that, but just hearing it come out of his mouth makes it more legitimate. I prepare to make a quick decision if Perry potentially is in danger from this man or other creatures roaming the festival. Now our precaution will increase this evening because the word is getting spread.

"Sir, " The man addresses the vampire behind me while I take a step back with intimidation, "You are from Dibbley?"

Perry doesn't respond and I catch onto what I need to do immedietly, "Sorry about that," My hands begin to tremble so I clutch them at my stomach. "This man here is my slave, he can't speak."

I divert the conversation, "Why is the Queen searching for the next heir?"

"The madam has come to age, and she is becoming ill. This is her last chance to save her kingdom from being taken over by another family."

My stomach falls, "What a devastating story."

"You must spread the word that she's searching for her missing nephews."

I nod promptly while peering to Perry directly, careful about what the stranger will overhear, "We have to go pick up what we needed." Hopefully my wording doesn't sound like we're in a rush to escape, but instead need to get somewhere.

The man bids us a farewell and I wish him luck. As we flee I do my best not to walk with a hop in my step, hoping nobody will find anything suspicious with Perry and I. Standing out is the last thing we need and at the moment we're unable to go back home, my family wanted to meet us after the fireworks on the beach.

The beach!

I peer over the cliffside, while individuals obstruct my view or wander in front of me. It's too crowded up here but I guarantee during this event most of the people are more focused on the festival itself instead of below. The partying on the seaside likely occurred amidst the warmer hours of midday, so I conclude our safest option to address our recent encounter is down on the shore.