Chapter 31

Cover by livvie926 I think it is cute <3

Continue!

MWUEHEHEHEHEHE...

If you dare....

++++++++++++++++++++

I used to wonder why life is the way it is. I wondered why people who have so much light in them have to be tormented by darkness. I once wondered why those who deserve pain receive treasure, and those who deserve greatness receive hate. I wondered why good people are the first ones to be hurt and the last ones to be saved.

As I grew up, all I ever noticed was the fact that the best people in life experienced the most torturous trials. Eventually, my young self became tired and angry with the way things were. To me, it seemed unfair, unjustified, and wrong. After contemplating one of the oldest questions in the world, I went to my mother to see if she could give me an answer. Why is there so much bad?

What she told me changed the way I viewed life from that day on.

As crazy as it may seem, my mother always raised me to believe in a grand Creator. Yes, indeed I have my issues in actually keeping my attention on him, but I still acknowledge his existence. As I grew up, and as my mother gradually faded away into oblivion before my eyes, Mom never ceased to tell me to cheer up. No matter the pain, no matter how terrible her illness became, she still taught me to see the brighter side of things.

Well, she taught me to at least try to see the brighter side of things.

So when I came to her--with all my seven year-old glory--and asked her why the world had so much sadness, I did not receive the answer I was expecting. I had predicted that she would feed me some rubbish answer about not knowing and having faith that it would all work out one day. I was sorely mistaken, however, and learned a valuable lesson from her words.

"When you are in a garden, which flower do you pick?" She has asked me, looking at me with her wise and caring eyes. Obviously, I told her that you have to pick the pretty ones. Upon hearing my answer, she gave me a small smile, kneeling down and taking my hands in hers. "Yes, you are right. In the same way, God allows certain people to suffer because it makes them stronger when it is all finished. Now, a lot of people probably disagree with me, but that is okay. They are probably angry at God for something they had to suffer through."

My mother told me these words in a soft voice. The way she spoke to me was not as if she was superior to me, but rather as if she were telling me the greatest news in the world. Her eyes were alight with happiness as she spoke, causing my own emotions to feel lighter as well.

Her words perplexed me, however. I just could not comprehend the logic of anything that she was saying. So, in order to find more answers, I pressed her further. I asked her, "But if the suffering will make people hate God, why does he allow it to happen?" I was sure that she would not be able to answer this question, because, who could? You can't know all the answers to the motivation of a higher being, right?

Once again, she told me something different to what I was expecting.

"Because he is giving them the choice to give into the torment or fight for their peace."

Now, if one were to hear my long explanation of a cherished childhood memory, they would probably be wondering why the heck it was coming up now. It is also highly probably that they would start accusing me of being homophobic, sexist, racist, and any other terrible thing. Even though I am not and never will be one of those things, it is beside the point.