Chapter Ten

Several more weeks had passed before Richard was able to meet with his steward about the state of accounts. He was not pleased with the information he obtained from Mr. Dooley. Things could be worse, however Richard was not sure how. He had much work ahead of him to put things right that had been left unattended in his Father's absence. His stepmother continued to drain the accounts as she had when his father was alive. Till this day he could not see what his father saw in that witch of a woman. She was a beauty in her day and was still quite comely even now but certainly there was more to it than that.

He had been thinking more and more of the Wadsworth family of late. Mr. Wadsworth's name showed up several times throughout the ledgers. Richard had understood the numerous withdrawals made under that name but he was surprised to see a rather hefty sum deposited with Charles Bentley about a six months prior to Wadsworth's name disappearing from the ledger all together. He must remember to take the matter up with Mr. Dooley on his next visit.

Albert entered the library, bringing with him tea for his master. "Good Morning, Albert." Richard said not looking up from the ledger he was poring over.

"Good Morning my Lord." he answered. "You have a visitor."

"What was that you said Albert?" Richard asked realizing he missed something of the conversation.

"A visitor sir, a Mr. Chase is here to see you. Shall I bring him in?" Albert asked.

"No, Albert I will see him in the drawing room. I will be there momentarily."

Richard had an idea what Mr. Chase came to see him about. Cecilia was a basket case when he returned to his room after Anna had fainted. Anna... How he missed her. He could not explain the hold that woman had over him but his chest ached just thinking of her.

He had tried to ask Cecilia about that night, what exactly happened between them. The evening was a total blank. The last thing he remembered was walking with her back to the Manor and then nothing. She of course seemed deeply distressed to hear this and did nothing but cry. Richard tried to assure her all would be well, but the truth was he did not know how it would. He made several attempts by letter to request a visit to speak with her further about the situation but thus far had no reply.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Mr. Chase."

The man looked quite stern and was obviously annoyed at being held at Richard's whim. "Lord Bentley, I am a man of business and so I will get straight to the point." Mr. Chase said. He began to pace the room as he spoke.

Pouring himself a brandy, Richard offered the man a drink. "I am afraid not." the elderly gentleman said not sure how to say what he came here to say but knowing he had no choice he came straight out with it.

"Lord Bentley did you have relations with my Cecelia?"

Richard was about to take a sip of brandy but made it a gulp instead. "I know you value the truth Mr. Chase so I will not lie to you. A month ago I saw your daughter on the veranda after the dance she was weeping. Why? I do not know and I comforted her. We returned to the house together and when I awoke she was in my bed. Any other details you are looking for I am afraid I can not provide for I remember nothing else of that night."

"So you deny sleeping with my daughter even though she was in your bed?" Mr. Chase asked his anger getting the better of him.

"No," Richard replied calmly "All I have said is that I do not recall it. I have denied nothing."

Not liking the way Richard casually spoke of having sex with his daughter or the fact that he seemed to show no remorse he knew he would take pleasure in informing him of his latest news. "My Cecilia is with child, now what have you to say for yourself?"

Richard said nothing. Just sloshed back the rest of the brandy down his throat and turned to set his glass on the mantle. "Funny how something so unmemorable could change your entire life," Richard thought. He turned back to Mr. Chase who was now red in the face with anger. 

Taking his glove, Mr. Chase threw it at Richard's feet, "I demand satisfaction, sir?" 

Richard looked down at the glove with disinterest and kicked it aside. Mr. Chase looked positively murderous. Richard did not doubt if he had his pistol on him, Richard would have been dead already. "If you are implying Sir, that I care nothing for your daughter's honor, let alone the honor of my own family name you are sadly mistaken. I will do what is right by her, rest assured. I will be in touch when I have made arrangements." Richard informed him. "I see no need why you should die." Having said his piece Richard picked up the glove and handed it back to Mr. Chase. "Now, that our business is concluded I have other affairs to attend to." Richard dismissed himself from the room leaving Mr. Chase to find his own way out.

"I am going to London, Albert. I need my belongings packed and transport arranged. I leave in the morning." Richard said as he passed his butler. 

"Yes, my Lord."

"Oh and send word I need to speak with Mr. Dooley immediately."

"Yes, sir." Albert said and jumped to the tasks.

Back in the Library, Richard felt his anger roiling to a boil. "Stupid, How could I have been so stupid? How can I not remember an event that has now rewritten my life's story?" he questioned but there was no one to answer. "A Father?" Suddenly he needed to sit down. 

A loveless marriage was one thing but now a child may enter the world, his child. He seriously never considered the thought of being a Father until this moment. He hardly felt prepared for the position. Never had he missed his own Father more. What advice would he give? What a disappointment he had become. His Father is likely turning in his grave.

A knock at the door and his steward entered without waiting for acknowledgement. "You wished to see me, Sir?" Mr. Dooley said quite breathlessly. He pushed his spectacles up on to the bridge of his nose and straightened his waistcoat. 

Standing and walking over to his Father's desk Richard took a seat and offered the chair across to Mr. Dooley. "I am in need of funds. I am to travel to London to procure special license." 

"I see. Will you be posting banns." Mr. Dooley said making notation in a small leather bound book he pulled from his breast pocket.

"That won't be necessary. The license will suffice and give both families a chance to plan the event as they see fit. As I am certain Cecilia will want to have input on her wedding day?"

"Cecilia Chase?"

"Yes, I know she is young but her parents have given their blessing." Richard said thinking Mr. Dooley's surprise of choice was due to her age.

Dooley had been loyal to the Bentley family serving the first Lord Bentley for years before his passing. He knew his Father's hope for Richard. It distressed him greatly to see Richard so agitated. "Sir, are you certain you wish to do this?" 

"I say what choice do I have? There are extenuating circumstance, which I will not discuss. " Richard replied if the man had another solution he damn well better say it and spare him of the agony of what his life would become.

With as shrug of his rounded shoulders his steward only said, "Very well, it will be done."

Before he left, Richard called to him. "One more thing, send letter post haste to Cyril Kane informing him of my arrival in London. I may need his services or of a solicitor he recommends to put my affairs in order."

Mr. Dooley, made note and left the room. 

Hopefully Annabelle wouldn't mind putting him up for a few days. Her husband was a brilliant barrister although a bit of a stuffed shirt, for Richard's liking but useful in this case. Oh, who was he trying to fool? If he was to be wed and his life forever changed, he had to see her. He had to look upon his Anna one last time.