Chapter Twenty-Three

Nearly a week has passed since Richard had left and there has been no word from him. Juliana felt desperate, worry consuming her. She found it very difficult to concentrate on painting. She could not shake the feeling in her heart that something had gone wrong and her instincts seldom failed her. She dropped her paintbrush for the second time. Only this time it left a long black streak down the left side of her painting.

"No, no, no!" she fussed.

Annabelle was concerned for her friend and her brother. She too was finding it difficult to work, if only there was some news from Richard it would set them all at ease. "We should stop here for today," Annabelle offered. "It really is not a good day for painting."

"I have ruined another one," Juliana pouted looking at the dark streak.

Annabelle came over to her easel to inspect the damages. "It could be worse," Annabelle amended as she tried to bolster her friend's confidence. "Perhaps you can disguise it like a tree?" she said tilting her head to inspect the painting from a different angle.

Juliana giggled. Wonderful Annabelle always finding the light in the darkness, a solution to every problem. If only the rest of life could be so easily resolved.

"I guess it is good that it is a scenic painting and not someone's portrait." Juliana giggled. "And I am hungry."

"Then come to our house," Annabelle prompted. "The boys have missed you. Perhaps you can pack a few things and stay overnight. Alex and Willy have been dying to have you read to them again. I try but they tell me it is not the same. Maybe you can even fill me in on your secret?"

"Well," Juliana conceded, "I do miss them and it may do me some good instead of wandering around here alone with nothing but my thoughts and worry to keep me company. Give me a moment to pack some things."

Annabelle said no more, afraid her friend might change her mind if she said another word. She and Cyril had been worried about Juliana being alone. She was starting to show signs of strain. Her eyes were lined with dark circles and her face was being to look shallow. Annabelle knew she was not eating properly if she were eating at all. Juliana quickly packed a few belonging into a small travel bag and went to join her friend. She was grateful for Annabelle's suggestion, she did not think she could face another night alone.

------------

Marcus watched over the Kane house with no sign of Anna. It had been three days now. He knew she was sent here to be governess by the talk among the servants. They never did pay him much mind whenever he was in the room allowing him to gather all sorts of interesting information.

Like how his Cecilia was caught in bed with Lord Bentley. How Anna had to be sent away because of Richard's feelings towards her were too strong. How if she stayed, they believed it would be only a matter of time before they ended up in bed together. Marcus did not give Anna as much credit, thinking that if she were propositioned by the Lord of the Manor, she most likely has been bedded by him several times by now.

Then he heard of Cecilia's betrayal. That she chose to be with Lord High and Mighty, his anger knew no bounds. He thought she had loved him. He tried, no begged for her to run away with him the evening of the party. She refused and he left her sitting in the garden crying. That very night she ended up in Lord Bentley's bed obviously not wishing to waste any time finding her new prize. He thought of how her face looked strangled, not a breath left in her body. How her beautiful blue eyes stared at him, wide open with amazement like they had when he first made love to her.

Then there were those awful rumors about her being with child but no matter, it was that bastards anyway. It would have grown up to be another spoiled little rich brat just like Lord Bentley. The world had no need for more pompous gits lording themselves about over hard workers like him.