Chapter Thirteen

Richard arrived around eight in the morning. He did not want to waste a minute of his time visiting with Annabelle. "Who am I trying to fool?" he thought. Since he left for London he could think only of Annabelle's governess. He could not wait to see her again his eyes needed to feast upon her. He ached to be within a few feet of her. He had missed her so much.

Annabelle could not believe the man before her was her brother Richard. The last time she had seen him was at her wedding but that was several years ago. "Richard I am so glad you came to visit," Annabelle said showering her brother with sisterly hugs and kisses.

"It is so good to see you as well." Removing his cape and hat he had to admit he was just as happy to see her. Annabelle was his favorite sister. Clara was the sensible one but Annabelle... he could easily talk her into joining Juliana and himself on any one of their adventures as children."

"Is Cyril home?" Richard asked as Annabelle led him to the parlor.

"No, I am afraid not he goes to the office quite early to prepare for his cases at court, but I do expect him home earlier today due to your arrival."

"Oh, no bother that just means you and I have longer to visit." Richard smiled at her and settled in. Annabelle smiled back at him as she checked on the tea.

"Uncle Richard, Uncle Richard!" the two terrors called as they tore around the bend to see their Uncle, the war hero. Richard could not believe they were his nephews. Annabelle had two boys. He had missed a lot while he was away, but that left a very disturbing and puzzling question.

"I want to play with him!" the younger boy said as the older one fought with him saying "I saw him first!"

"Out of my way." the younger boy said pushing at the older boy's arm.

"Yeah." said the older boy shoving the smaller boy so hard he knocked him off the chair.

"Boys!" Annabelle scolded them, "Your Uncle is not a toy to fight over he is our guest and is going to be treated as such. Am I understood?"

With a heavy sigh coming from the both of them they answered. "Yes, mother." and sat on separate chairs but not before making a face at one another.

Richard laughed. "All right," he said, "You ..." looking at the older boy "What is your name?"

"Alexander Kane" the seven-year-old answered proudly.

"And you?" Richard asked looking to the younger.

"William" said the five-year-old.

"Both very strong names." Richard told them and they both sat up a little straighter in their chairs looking proud. And where is your sister?"

Annabelle nearly spilt the tea she was pouring as Richard's question to her son's caught her off guard.

"Sister?" Alex said, "we have no sister."

"Yes, there is just the two of us," William said.

"Oh?" Richard looked over at Annabelle for answers but she refused to meet his gaze.

"I want you two to go upstairs and wash up," Annabelle told her children. "Your breakfast will be ready soon and you are still in your night clothes."

"Do we have too?" the boys sang in unison.

"Up!" she demanded pointing the way for them to go and they raced from the room. Taking a cup of tea she handed it to Richard and sat across from him.

Frowning into the cup, wishing it were something a lot stronger than tea he asked, "Where is she, Annabelle? You deliberately deceived me. Where is Anna? Did she know I was arriving in London?"