Chapter Eighteen

Richard could hardly believe she was here.

Cyril stepped back from Richard. "I thought I told you to stay where you were?" he admonished Juliana, annoyed to be interrupted before he got his answer.

"I would have if you tried a little harder not to provoke his temper. I have grown to love you too much Cyril to see you flattened on my account."

Cyril did not particularly care for Juliana's assessment of the situation but considering Richard's size and strength she probably had saved him from a good thrashing.

"As for you..." she said looking back at Richard "I suggest you put this good man's mind to rest and answer the question."

Richard could not believe she would think he was capable of murdering Cecilia and his own child.

"Do not give me that look, Richard," Juliana said quite fed up with the lot of them. "I have not accused you of anything. Now answer his question."

"No," Richard said annoyed that he should even have to defend himself. "No, I would not have killed Cecilia and I sure as hell would not kill my own child just so I could be with another woman."

"Not even one that you love more than life?" Cyril asked not willing to let it go just yet.

"Give it a rest, Cyril!" Annabelle said not liking the turn the conversation had taken. "My brother is not a killer." Cyril let it go, for now.

Juliana gave him something else to think on. "Cyril what about the Aulsebrook case you told me about."

Cyril sat on the sofa and took the glass of brandy from his wife. "You mean the one were the jealous lover killed the poor girl in her sleep?"

"Yes, that one," Juliana confirmed as she entered the parlor. "Well, that was why I had asked you..."

Richard took a menacing step toward Cyril but was held in check by Juliana's hand holding him back. "You accused her of murdering Cecilia? Who next? Your wife?"

Juliana looked up at Richard. She knew he was fighting a losing battle against his temper. "Sit down and cool yourself," she commanded him.

Annabelle was shocked and amazed as she watched Richard comply. She gave Richard some tea not trusting him to drink anything stronger than that.

"What if Cecilia had a lover?" Juliana asked. "What if she told him she was marrying Richard and so he bid his time until Richard was away and kills her?"

"Well you have a theory," Cyril admitted, "though you have no proof she had any lovers other than Richard."

The thought of Richard and Cecilia together as lovers still had the power to hurt her, but she threw away those feeling and asked, "What if Cecilia was with child before she slept with Richard."

"What would make you say that?" Cyril asked not knowing where Juliana's thinking could possibly be headed but enjoyed how her mind worked. He loved discussing his cases with her, if she were a man, she surely would have done well in a career in law or as a Bow Street Runner.

"It was just something that struck me as odd about Cecilia figure. She was lying there uncovered until I dropped my tray. Her breasts were much larger than what would look normal on a girl her age and build and now that I think on it, I believe she was beginning to show."

Cyril felt the blood start to course through his veins, this was the only part he enjoyed about his job and he had to admit if what she saw was correct she may be on to something but Richard put an end to the whole theory.

"But there was blood on the sheets," Richard interjected wishing that somehow Juliana's concocted theory could hold true. If it did he was free to pursue her with a clean conscience and the child Cecilia was carrying was not his but it was not to be.