Chapter Thirty-Four

Richard scanned the content of the letter, becoming more confused the more he read.

Richard,

If you have possession of this letter it means I failed to set things right. Something that perhaps I could do better in death than in life.

Then he read the specific instructions that she had left should anything happen to her.

Several copies of a letter had been distributed to each of the following publishers:

The Times, The London Chronicle, The Morning Herald and Daily Advertiser and The Gentleman's Magazine.

She had stipulated in a will, that should Richard, Annabelle, or Clara or any member of their extended families come to harm or death by unnatural means or causes the letters should be published so that those that are named within could be brought to justice/ruin.

Richard...she continued. Please know I accept my shame. I did do what I am certain you have already discovered. I am responsible for setting Cecelia upon you. I had your drink laced. I had you believe you had taken her virginity and therefore responsible for her situation. I am guilty of all of those things, but never would I believe all that resulted from those actions.

I want you and the girls to be safe. We are all puppets and with those letters I hope to cut your strings. I have sent a letter to the one responsible for all of this, and everything that came after, telling them what I have told you. I pray they are not foolish enough to pursue things further.

I will not say their name. You not knowing may also keep you safe. Richard, I know there is no love lost between us. I have always been jealous of your Father's love for you and his devotion to your mother. I wished to have his heart all to myself. My selfishness has brought on so much pain and not just my own.

Your Juliana lives. She is currently working for Annabelle. Go to her. Make her yours. You both deserve what your Father had.

I only hope one day you can forgive me so I may rest in peace.

Catherine

Richard read the letter several times. Still so many unanswered questions. His mind was racing with all the information she imparted and did not impart. He still wanted an end to this, and his mind was brewing a plan.

The Coroner came and took Lady Catherine away. Richard left strict orders that her death not be posted, that he would bring the body back with him so she may be buried by his family's chapel, with his father. He would post her burial then.

He had much to do. He looked at the young woman who served his stepmother. "If you wish a permanent position is offered to you as my new wife's chambermaid."

"Thank you my Lord, but I regretfully decline. There are many who rely on my services here in Bath and my family is here as well."

"I understand."

He left directives with her to close up the flat and ship Lady Catherine's belongs to his home. He left money to cover all expenses, including for the Coroner, the Doctor and her wages, as he understood this might take some time.

Now it was off to find Cyril and Juliana.

Cyril was having a hell of time convincing Juliana to stay put.

"He said to wait for him here! If we go off looking for him again we may end up passing one another without knowledge and then we would be a bunch of bumbling buffoons trying to find one another. Just be patient, Juliana. He will come."