Chapter Thirty-Seven

The boys were overjoyed to be home surrounded by all their things and especially the toys that they missed. They spent most of the morning in the garden playing with their tin soldiers and cannons, making forts in the dirt.

Juliana watched them from the window. She wondered after her and Richard's time together if it were possible she could be pregnant. It was a thought that both terrified and thrilled her. She could not imagine a life without children and she wanted a large family. Never having brothers or sisters of her own she knew if God was willing she would not want any child to endure being alone like she had been.

Clara was gazing out at them as well. "I am going to miss them," she said quietly.

Juliana thought Clara would make an excellent mother. Annabelle told her Clara had tried but they have been unsuccessful. It bothered Juliana how lonely Clara seemed.

"I also. They are wonderful boys," Juliana agreed.

Clara smiled at her like she took partial credit for that statement.

Annabelle came bounding into the kitchen. "Here you are! Come with me!"

She grabbed hold of Juliana's hand and dragged her from the room, Clara following close behind.

There were a number of packages awaiting Juliana. Stacked up in piles around the parlor. "These are all for me?" The sheer number of them shocked Juliana.

Annabelle squealed in delight. "Go on open them!"

Clara took a seat and just sat back and observed.

Juliana tore through the brown parcels. The boxes were filled with bonnets and trim, silk hose and garters, dresses and chemises; box after box revealed an entire new wardrobe with all the trimmings.

Although excited for Juliana, Annabelle felt a little disappointed, "Well I guess taking you shopping for a new trousseau will not be necessary."

Clara just looked at all the extravagance and wondered what it would be like, to have someone who doted on you in such a way.

Richard came into the parlor and smiled as he took in the display of Juliana sitting in a pile of presents scattered all around her, brown wrapping paper torn haphazardly and thrown carelessly about the floor.

She obviously was having fun. He had just gotten back from his dealings about the properties. Cyril was well connected in London, so finding a new owner for his flat and builders to take on the task of turning Juliana's house into a storefront became far easier than he had expected.

Richard walked up to Juliana. He pulled from his pocket a small velvet box, which he held out to her. Juliana wondered what it could contain, truthfully she thought he had done too much already.

"Go on," he urged.

The box held the insignia of Rundell and Bridge. Never would she think in her lifetime she would hold a box from the jewelers to the Crown. Her hand shook slightly as she pulled on the ribbon. She opened the box to reveal a pair of golden bands.

"Read the inscription," Richard told her.

Her lip trembled and her eyes filled with tears. Engraved in Latin were the words 'Omnia Vincit Amor'.

"Love Conquers All"

Those two continuous circles no beginning, no end would be their wedding bands. Juliana immediately stood and threw her arms around him.

"I thought you might like them," Richard said crushing her to him.

"I have sent word to Albert before we left Clara's that we are to wed the day after we return home and he has been given detailed instructions of what I need to be prepared upon our arrival. Soon, Love, we will be "officially" man and wife."