Chapter Twenty-Six

Richard saw Cyril walking the doctor out and so excused himself from Barneby and ran back across the street eager to see Juliana. "Dr. Feller, thank you so much for everything you have done," Richard said shaking the man's hand.

"No thanks needed, and not required at least not yet. We have a long way to go. I have left detailed instructions for that young woman's care, which I expect to be followed to the letter. We can not afford any mistakes. Besides the fact of her wound, there is also the fact that her body has shut down. A body can not stay out of commission for too long. Let us hope she wakes soon."

This bit of news greatly alarmed Richard, "You mean if she does not wake we may lose her still?"

"Yes, a body can only go so long without sustenance. I would say a week but that would be generous more like three to four days."

"Is there nothing we can do?" Richard asked his fear of losing her trying to claw its way back into his heart.

"Pray," the doctor said. "I will be back in two days if there any changes to her condition before then send word and I will come immediately."

Cyril shook Dr. Feller's hand. "Thank you, Thomas. We all owe you, no matter the outcome. We will take excellent care of her."

"I have no doubt. Good evening."

Both gentlemen nodded to him and Richard watched as he walked away. Please Lord, let me keep her, bring her back to me. I need her.

"Cyril," Richard said breaking into the seconds of silence that passed between them. "I need your help. That man there," Richard said pointing to Barneby across the street, "I wish no charges to be brought against him. He needs your expertise and if you would be so kind as to arrange a place for him to stay tonight, I would be eternally grateful."

"Consider it done," Cyril said, and Richard once again admonished himself for ever thinking poorly of Cyril. He has proven himself valuable in every situation.

Annabelle was in the room when he entered. She was currently sponging the blood from Juliana's hands and abdomen. She quickly swiped her tears away when she heard someone enter the room.

"Still no sign of her waking?" Richard asked not liking the coldness of her hand as he held it in his.

"It is going to take time Richard. Her body has been through too much. The doctor has left instructions," she said pointing over to a letter on the bedside table.

Richard brushed a stray hair from Juliana's eyes and caressed the side of her cheek. "To think I almost lost you," Richard said feeling the swell of emotions threatening to overflow again.

"We will not have any of that kind of thinking, Richard," Annabelle admonished him and secretly herself. "We need to think positive for Juliana's sake."

"Of course, you are right and I am going to start by taking full charge of her care. I am not leaving this room until she is awake and on her feet again."

Richard was true to his word. On the doctor's next visit he praised the care given to the patient and he was pleased to see that the wound was healing well. There seemed no signs of infection and he attributed it to the fact that the weapon used was extraordinarily well kept, no rust or dirt on the blade, so it increased her chances of recovery. That and the wound was not deep as the dagger must have nicked a rib and missed any vital organs.

"She still shows no signs of waking," Richard said as the doctor gave his appraisal of Juliana's injury.

"Give it time, my boy. Time is the greatest healer of wounds, time and patience. Which is something you seem in short supply of, the latter I mean."