New Enrollment

The next morning, I was up early just so that I could avoid talking to my parents about what had happened last night and to take a shower. They had come home in a panic to find me and two policemen sitting in the living room in silence. People had come in and taken pictures of my room like it was a homicide. They were disappointed to only find a broken cell phone. Did they expect to find me in pieces?

The paramedics had taken me to the hospital and the embarrassment had been eating away at me during the ambulance ride. What surprised me the most was that there had been no news cameras or any paparazzi jumping out of the bushes or anything. I took that as a good sign. I didn't need my face in newspapers all over the world. I would never be able to live that down. 

After I had been declared mostly unharmed; my wrist was just wrapped for support and nothing was broken, my parents took me back home where they insisted on sleeping in my room. After a million reassurances, they finally agreed to sleep in their own room with the condition that they had to leave a baby monitor in my room.

I slipped out of bed and turned the baby monitor off. My back was aching and it was definitely bruised to the point of being green and purple. I took a quick shower and managed to shave in the process. It was painful to say the least. My wrist was a bit sore but I was able to use it. Every movement was torture and it was so agonizingly slow to slip into my clothes. Even my scalp felt raw.

I actually wanted to give up on my hair as I combed it up into a high bun. The radio had said it was going to be hot today with temperatures up in the 90s (courtesy of the drive home last night). My work was done and I actually wondered if my parents would let me interview a vampire for my paper. I doubted that was going to happen anytime soon without supervision or the paramedics standing by.

Grabbing my backpack and zipping it close, I headed downstairs carefully tip-toeing past my parent's room and expertly avoided all the creaky floorboards. The house was silent and there was a faint hum of the a/c in the background. I stopped just at the final step and peeked into the living room.

"Morning, sunshine," Dad said. He folded the newspaper and set it on the coffee table.

I felt my shoulder slump. "Morning," I said, reluctantly walking in.

Dad was in his business suit. There were a few gray strands in his brown hair. His eyes were all but boring into my face.

"How did you sleep?"

"I slept fine," I told him. "Like a baby and everything."

Dad patted the space beside the couch. "Sit," he said.

I sighed and dragged my feet until I was sitting beside him. My butt sank into the cushion. I sat back and turned to my dad.

"Mom wants to take you to a friend," he said.

"Urgggh," I said. "Dad I don't need a shrink. I'm shocked, to say the least, and angry but I'm not psychologically damaged."

"I know," he said. "But after the other incident, we just thought-"

"Dad," I interrupted. "That was a long time ago. I was young and naive. I didn't know what was happening. But everything turned out okay."

Dad patted my knee. "Alright," he said. "It just pains us that we weren't here to help you. We left you alone."

"I stopped being defenseless a long time ago," I told him. "I called the police and they responded very quickly. I doubt the Vampire Prince is coming back for a second round."

I pushed myself up before he could say anything else. "I'm going to get something to eat," I said. "Do you want anything?"

"No," he said. "You go ahead and eat. You missed out on dinner."