All Things Must Come to an End

I don't remember much of what happened afterward. Lucy and Camellia took me back home. They got me patched up but the bruises were still there.

During the ride home, Camellia spoke to me but I couldn't hear a word she said. I was so cold and yet so numb. I remember glimpses of the landscape and some words about "handling it" and "you did a good job", whatever that meant.

I don't remember if I slept that night. All I could remember were Micah's eyes. My heart ached. Although my plan had worked, I didn't feel like celebrating. If he had truly been afraid of losing me as a friend, why hadn't he told me? We could have talked. None of this wouldn't have happened. I wouldn't have to move and hide. I . . . also wouldn't have met Alexander.

That was probably the only good thing that came out of moving. It was the only good thing and now I had completely destroyed it. If this all worked out then, I guess it would be worth it but if it didn't then, the relationship I had with Alexander was now ruined.  Maybe he would forgive me but I seriously doubted it. I wouldn't forgive myself.

The following morning, my mom came into my room to check on me. I pulled my covers close to my face and she drew nearer. Every part of my body ached. I couldn't move my head without wincing. 

"Awake already?" Mom asked.

"Yeah," I replied hoarsely. "I'll probably be sleeping all day."

She sat beside me. "Everything alright?" she asked, placing the back of her hand against my forehead. 

"I'm fine," I assured her. "Everything is starting to get to me, you know?"

"Oh, sweetheart. It's going to be alright, you'll see. How about we go somewhere? Like a mini-vacation? Dad and I have some days saved up. I think it will do us some good."

"Okay. That sounds good."

She smiled again. "Get some rest. When I get home, I'll bake a cake and we can eat as many sweets as you want."

"Sure."

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to rest. Even if I managed to doze off, I didn't feel rested. Sometime in the early afternoon, my cell phone rang. I grabbed it off the pillow beside me. Sonia was calling me. 

Frowning, I answered.

"Have you seen the news?" Sonia blurted out.

"Um, no," I told her.

I propped myself up on my elbow. My head spun and everything protested. 

"Turn on your television right now."

"Why? What's going on?"

"Just do it. Otherwise, you wouldn't believe it. It has to deal with . . . the Prince. Just do it, okay?"

That was all I needed to hear. I yanked the covers off of me and leaped out of bed. The ground titled for a moment before straightening. I practically ran down the stairs and into the living room. As soon as I found the remote, I turned the television on. Thanks to my dad, I didn't have to switch the channel. He was always watching the news.

"Are you watching?" Sonia asked.

"Y-yeah," I stammered out.

Showing on the television was a live feed of Alexander being lead out of jail. He didn't have any handcuffs on him and Mr. Keys stood beside him.

"Moments ago," the News Anchor was saying, "the Vampire Prince was officially released. A recording of the true perpetrated was shared on every social media platform and radio. The footage was also shared of this event.