Catastrophe

Rachel's P.O.V

"No!" My cry catches everyone off-guard as I spread my wings, taking off into the trees at lightening speed.  They blur past, melding together as I fold my wings slightly in flight in order to go faster. As quickly as I had taken off, the sound of hooks connecting with the bark of the trees follows, and Levi appears out of the corner of my eye.

   "What is it, brat?!"  I pin my green eyes on him as I continue to fly forward. There is no concern for a collision in my mind– I know this forest as well as I know myself.

   "Fable!  She's in trouble!" Paying him no more attention, I flap my wings harder, pushing them to their full extent.  The muscles connecting them to my back scream in protest, but I ignore the pain in favor of glancing frantically around. My heart feels ready to burst it's pumping so hard– and for a moment, I remember I haven't felt this emotion in a long time...

After what seems like an eternity of flying (which had only actually been two minutes), I come across a clearing and begin to scan the place. I note how whatever had happened here left behind massive destruction.

   A few of the giant trees ringing the clearing are broken in half– and some of them are even bent at odd angles.  Some of the dirt underneath the grassy area is torn up and strewn about, and if there had ever been any flowers here, they are certainly destroyed now. Just seeing the destruction causes anger and worry to boil in my stomach. I hear a quiet whistle behind me and glance back over my shoulder, spotting Hanji.

"Woah... I wonder what kind of Titans could have caused this much damage~?" She randomly starts drooling in excitement and I turn away, disgusted by her fascination with the whole subject of Titans.  Even as I child, I have always been frightened of them– terrified of their gaping mouths and vacant gaze.  My wings were the one factor that broke me out of my cowardice, providing me with a sense of safety.  How can any human be so...  I can't find the right word to describe Hanji, so I drop the subject from my mind.

Suddenly, my superhuman hearing picks up the sound of someone muttering.  Maybe someone is here?  I take a moment to listen more closely, locating the sound and ensuring that there aren't any more.  I fly toward the source, only to spot a familiar two-toned brunette sitting up against a tree out of sight, clutching his head.

"... Jean?!"

~~~~

   I pace back and forth, thoroughly irritated by the whole situation. Earlier at the scene of destruction, I had discovered Jean and his squad had been attacked by the Female Titan herself. According to Jean, another female Titan with long, black hair and armored skin had saved them, but the fight had been a lose-lose situation. Both Titans severely injured one another, and had fled in different directions; leaving the clearing a mess and half of Jean's squad mates dead.

Along with Jean, the others included in the squad are Sasha, Connie, Bertoldt, Krista, Ymir, and a higher ranking officer called Eli. They don't talk about the deaths of their squad mates, preferring to sit in each other's company in silent grieving and shock.  I don't blame them.

Soon, they are sitting around in a big circle, talking about things that would make them all brighten up.  I request they take shifts in watching the surrounding forest in preparation for a surprise Titan attack.  I have no plan in mind to find the other squads of the formation and to get everyone back to the walls, and it makes my feathers ruff up in irritation.  I think about how thoughtlessly I would have taken out the Titan's before I had to worry about the humans' health in addition to my own.  Don't think like that, they are part of your flock now.

   "Uh... Rachel?"  I snap my head towards the speaker– Eren– and calm myself down before replying.

   "Yes, Eren?"  He cocks his head to the side, a hint of curiously and hesitation in his eyes.

   "Do you hear that?"  My eyebrows furrow in confusion, before I finally understand what Eren is talking about–

   A loud, continuous crashing noise resonating throughout the Forest of Giant Trees.

   Alarmed, I spread my wings and launch into the air, circling high above the trees and looking in all directions.  I make use of my enhanced hearing and vision, scanning my surroundings vigilantly.  What I see shocks me.

   From the east, something is approaching– whether it be big or small, I can't tell.  The trees are swaying from the way it is coming from, making its destination clear:

   The meadow where the rest of the soldiers currently dwell.

   Dropping back down to just above ground level and hovering in place, I swiftly shout,

   "Quickly, everyone in the trees!  Something is approaching from the east– and it isn't an ally!"  My tone is enough to send the soldiers into action, and I am waved over by Erwin.

   "What is the creature?"  I shake my head, fully unprepared for an attack.

   "I honestly don't know, Erwin.  My guess is that it's a Titan, by the way the trees were shuddering when it was coming our way.  But, I don't believe the enemy is very big judging by the lighter sounds it is making."  Erwin nods his head, and Levi tsks.

   "Could this one have intelligence?"  The question is directed at me.

   "It is possible, and we should take extra precautions just in case."  Both leaders nod, and I take off towards the branch Eren, Armin, and Mikasa are taking refuge on.  "Eren, be ready to transform if need be.  This enemy is unknown, making it all the more dangerous."  The brunette nods in understanding, and then positions himself at the perfect angle to jump from the tree and transform in the air if the task requires such an action.

   I place myself on the ground, kneeling as I press my hands to the dirt.  By doing this, I get a better sense of the enemy, and am hoping it will help.  I dig the tips of my fingers into the earth, feeling the life of the forest pulse through me.  However, I am appalled when all noises just stop.

   The forest becomes eerily silent.  No birds are chirping, no leaves are rustling, and the feeling of the unknown creature fed to me by the earth beneath my fingertips dims until I only barely register where the enemy is.

   Then– out of nowhere– a Titan comes flying out of the trees.