71. Family Ties & Weddings (Part 2)

Arturo was now getting tired of answering repetitive, pointless questions. He was not complaining out of respect for Anna. Only for Anna. After answering to everyone in the room and the Don, he knew this session had to end at some point. They had been there for a while now.

The Don was smiling at that point "I do approve of you son. You have shown today that you truly love Anna and respect this family. Welcome to the family...."

Arturo thought himself "Finally, about time you stopped this nonsense. I was not leaving without her either way" But of course he didn't say it out loud and politely smiled "Thank you Don. I appreciate your approval sir."

Then the men around the room congratulated him except O'Neil who made sure he was the last one to do so getting enough attention from the room when he spoke " I offer my congratulations for this holly union. I would like to say that whether I am invited to your wedding or not, I will be there at the door step of the church, congratulating you and wishing you well. O'Neils don't miss weddings..."

The Don spoke " I am sure Arturo will invite everyone in this room. Isn't that correct son?"

Arturo narrowed his eyes at O'Neil but then turned to the Don " The more people the merrier but .... My Anna would be making the decisions about the invites too just like how she would decide about when she would like to visit Sicily. I would assess her safety and well being every time. If it is within her best interests to be close to a certain soul then I would protest. If O'Neil is no threat to my family, he would be invited. As it stands, he won't be an uninvited guest. I assure you. " But he thought to himself " He would be an unwanted guest by me, always". He was now looking at O'Neil with a hard expression.

The Don stood up "very well. Now that all is clear, if there are no further questions, lets make our way to the celebrations and announce the good news that Arturo is part of the family. It is time for a party. Our large living room is transformed into a party room now. Guests are due to arrive shortly and there is dance and music. After a quick rest, I expect all of you in the living room when the first guests arrive. This party is in honour of my grandson getting engaged of course. I hope that would be where Francesco would announce the date and venue of the wedding." He then turned to Arturo " Do not take too long arranging the engagement party and the wedding. I am not getting younger.."

O'Neil cleared his throat " Sir, that is a vital point you mentioned. The wedding date must be sooner than later.."

Arturo turned to him sharply "Of course that is a vital point and Anna would think about it...." He cut O'Neil off before he set a date for the wedding. Arturo thought to himself "This Irish is totally asking for it."

The Don looked around the room " See you at the party shortly." He then walked to the exit as the others followed. But not all left. Arturo stopped O'Neil from leaving by blocking his path. As he was making his way to the door. Arturo asked "Nice watch you have there."

O'Neil chuckled "Oh, I like to be on time for everything, you see. I arrived here before you did by seconds but i was earlier. I could order you a watch like this."

Arturo looked behind him and saw the door closed behind the last person. He then turned around "I am surprised you didn't attack me just now. My back was turned to you. You are a back stabber."

O'Neil put his hand on his heart and spoke in a mocking tone " Come on. A back stabber. Me?" He then laughed "I would like to use a different word. I look at myself as an opportunist. When I see a chance, I take it. But I know I could attack you..... Well, I knew you expected me to attack you so I didn't. Also, this is the Don's home and he calls you son. You are closer to the Don than I am now. So why risk it? But if you wish, I can challenge you to a duel. A fist fight out there. That way no one can complain. Are you up for a fist fight?"