5: to train a wolf

"Are you ready to train, Bambi?" The big male's large mitt is resting on my shoulder as we stare over his training grounds. I'm in awe and shock. Females and males, fighting alongside each other like nothing. Each wolf strong, thick with muscles, panting with exertion. We are equals of great talent on this field.

Back home, this was never allowed. Females don't hunt, they gather. Females don't fight, they tend to wounds. Your mate will protect you, he will always protect you.

Right.

Now I see this... I don't know what to think. This just seems surreal.

"Females fight here." I can see it with my own two eyes, no need to confirm.

"Of course. All my wolves fight. There is no weak and there is no strong. You are labeled by your heart, how long you are willing to fight. What you are willing to fight for." He looks over his pack with pride, then down to me, seeing if I am paying any attention. I am. "If you are willing to fight for disrespect, for something you don't deserve, for bad intentions... Well then you are in for a rough ride. Wolves die here, Bambi."

"Females don't fight in my pack."

"Your old pack." He scolds me. "We are your pack now. Don't make me think twice."

I nod.

"Each pack has their own customs and culture, little one. There just has to be someone brave enough to make things right."

"How do I make things right?" I turn to face him, head tilted almost all the way back in order to look into his eyes, making sure to adjust my gaze every so often.

His mouth turns up at the corner, turning to look over the field of fighting males and females. "Go train, shewolf."

"I'm brave! I want to be the one!"

"Bambi, go train." He nudges me forward with his hand.

"But-" The look he sends me is enough to know to close my mouth. I frown anyways and turn on my heel, heading for the heart of the battle with my chin up high.

I look over my new packmates, some working on hand to hand, some shifted, some running, some punching things and lifting things...

I know my eyes are wide, I probably look like a small fawn compared to all these wolves in the thick of their prime. Where I'm all skin and bones, these males and females are thick with muscle and power... I'm drawn to them like a bee to honey.

"Hey!" A male shouting at me, his hair is dark brown like his skin, these black eyes that are very open. "Come over here, female."

"What?" I stride over, I know I'm scowling but on the inside I'm happy he called me over, happy to be of use.

"Tell me your name."

"It's Montana."

"Ah, like mountain."

"Just Montana."

"Sure, okay look here. I want your hands up, make tight fists- no curl your thumb around the outside- there you go." His smile is vibrant, no teeth, innocent. He demonstrates his arm position; propped up, elbows in, fists clenched... "This is how you will punch." He turns to the strung bag to his rear, grunting as he pummels it with three quick jabs.

I watch with awe, catching the Alpha's eyes on me, my cheeks flushing red as I turn back to the male.

"What's your name?" I ask.

"Kieran. Now you try, c'mon, step up to the bag. Okay, you saw what I did, show me your form."

Standing straight up, I hold my arms like he does. I'm staring at the bag for a minute as he watches me expectantly.