15: the power of us

"So, you've heard of heat before?" I ask Asher, swinging my legs back and forth in the fold out chair we each towed down to the rocky beach beneath the cliffs. We watch from a safe distance, both wearing sunglasses and absorbing the heat of the afternoon. Only waiting for the sunset to appear. I left JK with his brothers to train earlier on.

The afternoon is honestly amazing, and with the solstice being only three days away, which really means two, this seemed well deserved. But now, I couldn't stop thinking of it. Despite the warm, salted air and the view of endless sea... An idea that just can't be evaded.

"Yeah. They teach us in school. Did you go to school?"

"A little." I think back to the few times I had entered the run down building where nearly all my fights were started, thought of the stupid pups that hated me and made fun of my eyes, asked why I was such a disperser. Even when the girl with the two black braids- who got me booted out- had claimed that my body would be sold to the Alpha in a matter of time... "Are you scared for it?"

She shrugs. "I have a while. Besides, I'm not scared of things that are supposed to happen." I'm not surprised by this, Asher is a very natural, easy going female. She always smiles, she doesn't know pain, she is loved. I wonder if I could've been like her, had my old pack been different. Had I been different.

Groaning, I rub my hand over my mouth before rolling my neck out. "I'm not either. Honestly."

"That's good." She pauses, the bloated space filled with the knowledge of truth. "You can be scared, you know. It's okay too, I mean it's a natural process for shewolves that really is different for everyone."

"Don't be like that, like you know better."

"Sorry." Asher laughs a little and I look over at her.

"What?" I growl.

"I just... I kind of do know better." The shewolf snickers some more, covering her mouth with her hand. Her nails are painted green, picking at the creases in her pink skirt that goes to her knees.

I growl out in frustration. "Not my fault my old pack is a bunch of old assholes!" I stand up, struggling to fold together my chair as Asher decides to sober up a little.

"Oh come on-"

"No. I'm not worried about it. I'm better than them anyways. I'm fucking above them." Growling out, struggling with this stupid object.

"You've been hanging out with Jermayne too much. You both have such horrible tongues. I'm not just talking because you're more wolf." Shaking her head at me. "Actually... He really isn't, he's just grumpy and I think that sourness is rubbing on you even more! Quit thinking about your old pack, comparing them to here, making judgements. Just give it a rest. Enjoy what is happening now. Also, you're in the presence of the Luna's entity here." She nods her head to the Ocean and my eyes wander out to it for a second before snapping back to her. "He would dish out instant consequence to the unworthy."

Rolling my eyes beneath the shades, I finally manage to snap the chair shut, jerking my hand back as the plastic pieces catch my hand in a pinch. I watch the blood well from the cut and drip down my finger onto the rocky shore beneath my feet. I wonder how he feels about me, knowing how much I have already sacrificed. "Am I unworthy?" Only, I speak to no one in particular.

---

Pain flares in my belly, shooting deeper, gripping my spinal cord. It's white hot as it travels upwards, coiling around each vertebrae. From the inside, it burns me out. Squeezing my lungs, quickening the pace of my heart. Sweat beads on my forehead and neck, dampening my hair, the curls clinging.